So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

16 hours ago, optatio said:

40412294ah.jpg

40412297uc.jpg

19 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Couldn't find a cover photo that would fit in the small dimensions allowed, but I've been listening to "Last Night When We Were Young: The Ballad Album" that was put together by pianist Fred Hersch in '94 as an AIDS benefit. Phil Woods plays clarinet on one track ("Adios Nonino"). It's very pretty. I don't think I have Woods playing clarinet anywhere else.

gregmo

This is a beautiful CD.  I bought it when it first came out as a fundraiser for that Classical Action:  Performing Arts Against AIDS group.  Mark Murphy's performance of the title track is one of the greatest performances he ever recorded -- very moving.  For me, the surprise standout track was "Little Prayer" by Dave Catney, who passed away from AIDS complications not long after this CD was made.  It's a beautiful song of loss and remembrance which, unfortunately, is now all too relevant once again.

There was a subsequent CD issued by the same organization

512JTsl9G6L.jpg

51qlkYwB2XL.jpg

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are three double albums from the late 70s, when there was again more interest in acoustic jazz .

Those three albums were very much discussed in my jazz friend circles during the last year of high school. 

They came out around the same time 1978 and the most beautiful thing was that the musicians could be heard live on all bigger jazz festivals. 

Though I couldn´t see the Milestone Jazzstars in this formation (they were together only for US tour if i remember right), there was enough "Milestone Jazzstars" at the Velden Jazzfestival summer 1979, when Joe Henderson , Sonny Rollins and Ron Carter were scheduled, each one with his own group. 

Download (2).jpg

Download (3).jpg

Download (4).jpg

Rita Reys "Rita A Go Go" Philips 

R-6617483-1423214969-1547.jpeg.jpg

I ordered one of these "Five Original Albums" or Reys because it had her Jobim album which I wanted to hear, and there were four others. This one is interesting. I am used to hearing English spoken with this Dutch accent I guess from my years in Swaziland; my wife says she sings "weird" but it doesn't seem weird to me. Very vivid sound in this live recording! The songs are very much "of a time and place."

On 25.1.2021 at 8:09 PM, Bluesnik said:

This is a personal favorite of mine, which I have as part of the PJ piano trios Select and also as a Japanese mini-LP.

Its one of the 8 PJ albums with the coverart of  West Coast resident artists which made these paintings especially for Richard Bock's label.

Have posted them all some days ago in  another thread  here at Organissimo.

Edited by jazzcorner
typos

816m2ssL3rL._SS500_.jpg

Josh Roseman - New Constellations: Live in Vienna (Enja/Accurate, 2007)
with Peter Apfelbaum, Ambrose Akinmusire, Marvin Sewell, and others

Jazz meets ska/reggae meets electronica.  Not for purists -- but I like it.  I think Roseman is very adept at cross-fertilization.  The we-can-go-anywhere aspects of this music remind me of The Roots, with whom Roseman has recorded.

4 minutes ago, Bluesnik said:

Yes, those covers are extraordinary.

Agreed!  Thanks for sharing those images, jazzcorner:tup 

6 hours ago, jazzbo said:

51I8xWvzoPL._SX342_QL70_ML2_.jpg

I was listening to some Evans yesterday from the new Resonance Live at Ronnie Scott's from 68, and was baffled by Eddie Gomez and Jack DeJohnette. Apart from Evans, of course. A very, very nice trio.

5 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Jazz meets ska/reggae meets electronica.  Not for purists -- but I like it.  I think Roseman is very adept at cross-fertilization. 

I like that kind of jazz too.