• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Again reminiscences from that wonderful Festival Velden 1979.

Here Joe Henderson and Ron Carter with recordings done shortly before that festival.

What a schedule it was: Joe Henderson quartet, Ron Carter quartet (with Kenny Barron, Buster Williams and Ben Riley), Elvin Jones Jazz Machine, Sonny Rollins quartet, Chet Baker Trio, Woody Herman Thundering Herd......

Download (5).jpg

Download (6).jpg

Charles Mingus "Dynasty" Sony Japan budget cd

MingusDynasty1.jpg

I was inspired to play this disc seeing Lafayette Gilchrist post his playing of it on facebook. Such a powerful album, so exquisitely arranged and dynamically performed.

fb8575babf26baa9c344b9479ec45227--charle

Edited by jazzbo

16 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Emmet's been doing these live streams for 40 weeks. They're great IMO.

This is the first one I've seen.  I have technology to thank for it.  The YouTube channel on my TV recommended it to me, I guess because I had searched for "Catherine Russell" once before.  i will have to check out some of the other shows.

Edited by duaneiac

I love it. Nelsons has been recording all the Bruckner symphonies, paired with selections from Wagner. He might be done by now, not sure.

I don't know Bruckner's 6th and 9th well enough to compare to other recordings, but every Nelsons recording I've heard in this series has been fantastic.

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I never understood why the Cliff Brown Max Roach album is titled "at Basin Street". That sounds like a live recording, but as much as I know, it´s a studio recording.

You're right, Gheorghe.  It is a studio record.

It's my understanding that the band was playing regularly at Basin Street in NYC around the time of the recording.  Maybe that's why they chose that title?