So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

22 minutes ago, Don said:

I love it. Nelsons has been recording all the Bruckner symphonies, paired with selections from Wagner. He might be done by now, not sure.

I don't know Bruckner's 6th and 9th well enough to compare to other recordings, but every Nelsons recording I've heard in this series has been fantastic.

Thnx for your feedback, great you`r enjoying Bruckner .... and the pairing with selections of Wagner definitely makes sense ....

• Replies 79.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Archie Shepp "The Way Ahead" Impulse/Universal Japan SHM-CD.

1968_Archie-Shepp_The-Way-Ahead.jpg

Shepp again. What a dramatic player and arranger. You can hardly get bluer than the opening track.

I love Attica Blues and Four for Trane, but Shepp's Impulse! catalogue is huge. I haven't even scratched the surface of it. Will check this one out.

1 minute ago, Don said:

I love Attica Blues and Four for Trane, but Shepp's Impulse! catalogue is huge. I haven't even scratched the surface of it. Will check this one out.

This and Fire Music are my favorites. . .well On this Night too. These new SHM-CDs from Japan sound fantastic.

On 1/26/2021 at 6:54 AM, duaneiac said:

This is a beautiful CD.  I bought it when it first came out as a fundraiser for that Classical Action:  Performing Arts Against AIDS group.  Mark Murphy's performance of the title track is one of the greatest performances he ever recorded -- very moving.  For me, the surprise standout track was "Little Prayer" by Dave Catney, who passed away from AIDS complications not long after this CD was made.  It's a beautiful song of loss and remembrance which, unfortunately, is now all too relevant once again.

There was a subsequent CD issued by the same organization

512JTsl9G6L.jpg

51qlkYwB2XL.jpg

I absolutely agree about the Dave Catney piece, "A Little Prayer." One of my favorite ballads, ever. Thanks to all for finding and posting the cover. 

gregmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj9QWNMgogo

playing Teddy Edwards Back to Avalon... Just in case anyone wants to help: What instrument is played in the solo that starts around 1:39 of Sweet Georgia Brown... going by the lineup, it should be Jimmy Woods on alto... and there are moments when it sounds like an alto... but there are also moments where feels much more like a clarinet... or a bass clarinet (especially, it sounds a bit like Eric Dolphy)