Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Don said:

How's the sound quality? I'm curious about the Classics 1003 Bud Powell compilation.

Classics is mostly ok. In this instance I don’t think they used original lp’s.

Classics 1003 Bud Powell. Same quality. Don’t think lp’s were used.

28 minutes ago, miles65 said:

Classics is mostly ok. In this instance I don’t think they used original lp’s.

Classics 1003 Bud Powell. Same quality. Don’t think lp’s were used.

I think they use 78s. Originals, or copies of originals transferred by others. (These dates there would not be LPs as original sources).

Over time I've come to realize that Chronogical Classics put out some pretty darned good sounding stuff. If they had original parts from the record labels they might have sounded a bit better, but they did very well with what they did use.

Edited by jazzbo

I got to be in the same room with my Dad for the first time in ten months today, which was great.. . but was "granted" because he has been doing so badly and "compassionate visits" were allowed.

He actually seemed better than I had feared. If he could get his appetite back and if they can get his haemoglobin up somehow he would be able to mend more effectively. Neither of those things seem to be happening, but at least with visits from me and from my brothers yesterday he seems to want to "fight" more and we all genuinely enjoyed these visits. Not being with family is the hardest part of this pandemic for many who are otherwise well.

On the way there and back I listened to:

"Helen Merrill in Tokyo"
[IMG]
She has such fascinating phrasing, I never tire of her.

Una Mae Carlisle "Jazz Tribune"
[IMG]

[IMG]
What a lovely woman and interesting singer and pianist; over the years I've bought all her official output.

Ray Nance "Body and Soul"
[IMG]
The "Triple Threat". . . love his trumpet and violin playing and singing, and probably would love his dancing too--he was known for it.

Fabiano do Nascimento "Danca Dos Tempos"

nascim_fabi_dancadost_101b.jpg

Dusty Groove describes this nicely, but doesn't mention how great this disc sounds. (Well, it has the usual Dusty Groove “extra seasoning” in the description.)

"A contemporary record, but one that's got an amazingly timeless feel – like the best early 70s material from Brazilian artists like Airto, Hermeto Pascoal, or Egberto Gismonti! The music of Fabiano Do Nascimento has a similar genre-breaking quality to these giants – not straight jazz, but very jazzy in parts – not traditional Brazilian roots, either – but very schooled in the strongest elements from decades of creativity on that scene – all wrapped up in this fresh, new blend that's completely mesmerizing right from the start! Most instrumentation is acoustic, and relatively simple – guitar, percussion, drums, and vocals – but the arrangements are wonderful, and fold these familiar elements together in ways that are completely unique. The legendary Airto guests on the record – but the vision here is clearly that of Fabiano Do Nascimento – as he mixes together works by Hermeto Pascoal, Baden Powell, and other Brazilian composers with some bold new ideas of his own."

Edited by jazzbo