• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, BillF said:

R-1013055-1184102778.jpeg.jpg

Great, I also listened to it a few days ago

19 hours ago, BillF said:

Heard-J.C.-Bill-Perkins-Live-at-the-Ligh

I saw J.C. Heard with Dizzy Gillespie Quartet in summer 1983. The personnel was Diz, Ed Cherry, Mike Howell and veteran drummer J.C. Heard. Dizzy had played and recorded with Heard as early as 1946 I think, so this was kind of a reunion. I remember the first tune was Manteca, really hot....

Hemphill did not make it out of the 20th Century. Most of his contemporaries did/have. Name recognition and marketplace visibility/viability being what it is, I hope/pray that his body of work is not slowly being forgotten, It's too substantial to let that happen.

24 minutes ago, felser said:

Certainly my favorite of the Murray albums done with a standard p/b/d quartet that I've heard (plenty I haven't heard).  I also really like "Shakill's Warrior" and some of the octet recordings.

Image result for david murray for aunt louise

I haven't heard that one.  Will keep an eye out for it.  :tup 

My favorite Murray records in the standard p / b / d format are probably Morning Song and Like a Kiss That Never Ends.  For me, just as much as Murray, John Hicks makes those engines go.  

Edited by HutchFan

11 minutes ago, soulpope said:

For me the strongest Dave Holland Quintet outing on ECM ....

Yup.  With Wheeler's and Priester's broad sounds, it feels like an expanded -- almost "orchestral" -- version of Conference of the Birds.  

Edited by HutchFan

29 minutes ago, felser said:

Certainly my favorite of the Murray albums done with a standard p/b/d quartet that I've heard (plenty I haven't heard).  I also really like "Shakill's Warrior" and some of the octet recordings.

Image result for david murray for aunt louise

I share that opinion, on both.  Two of my favourite Murray DIWs alongside the some others - the duet with Graves, the quintet with Newton and the Big Band date with Butch Morris.  And, the bass clarinet album.  In fact the DIW run was pretty good all round now I think about it.  I do remember them being costly in the UK.

30 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

My favorite Murray records in the standard p / b / d format are probably Morning Song and Like a Kiss That Never Ends.  For me, just as much as Murray, John Hicks makes those engines go.  

I'm a big John Hicks fan in general.   Actually have more leader dates by him than I do by Murray.   I used to work with a woman who went to Sumner High School in St. Louis with Hicks, Lester Bowie, and Tina Turner in the 50's.  That was some talented school.

Miles Davis "Miles Smiles" 20 bit Sony LP facsimile cd.

150846219.jpg?cmsp_timestamp=20200507172

I am playing this one because I am very familiar with how it sounds and I'm breaking in a few fuse in my P15 power regenerator. This fuse I assumed had been lost in the mail. I ordered it from Japan in April last year and it arrived Saturday! I guess the pandemic was the cause. . . I was reimbursed for it about six months ago and that vendor is no longer on eBay. 

I love this album. . . have for more than four decades now. . . it’s funny to think that I’ve had this music in my life that long.

Edited by jazzbo