Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

This is my favorite of the three Wounded Bird Kenyatta reissues I picked up recently.  In fact, pretty much ready to listen to it again right away:

R-5448596-1393623336-4580.jpeg.jpg

What a great cover it has.

Now listening to:

Wadada Leo Smith - Ten Freedom Summers (Cuneiform, 2012)

Ten_Freedom_Summers.jpg

Someone told me this is the highest ranked record of all time on Metacritic. 

That makes sense, I guess, because it is really really good, but I am trying to imagine the average music listener coming across it. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

CENT1020_BoxCoverArt-July1-300_720x.jpg

Just got in this box set, one of the last of the first edition though that makes little difference.

William Parker "Migration of Silence In and Out of the Tone World"

Starting the first disc.

https://williamparker.bandcamp.com/album/migration-of-silence-into-and-out-of-th...
e-tone-world-volumes-1-10

Edited by jazzbo

Like the Croydon Concert from the same year and period, this is also great live Art Pepper with my favourite quartet. In that summer, Art Pepper also performed at "Velden Jazz Festival", but as much as I remember he didn´t have his own quartet and had to perform with Stan Getz´s rhythm section. I think, Lou Levy was on piano, to bad that it was not recorded, Pepper with Lou Levy , with all due respect to Milcho Leviev and George Cables, also would have been some interesting stuff. 

Download (6).jpg

26 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Like the Croydon Concert from the same year and period, this is also great live Art Pepper with my favourite quartet. In that summer, Art Pepper also performed at "Velden Jazz Festival", but as much as I remember he didn´t have his own quartet and had to perform with Stan Getz´s rhythm section. I think, Lou Levy was on piano, to bad that it was not recorded, Pepper with Lou Levy , with all due respect to Milcho Leviev and George Cables, also would have been some interesting stuff. 

Download (6).jpg

I think Pepper may have made a record with Levy for the Japanese Atlas label, one of those records that couldn't be released in Pepper's name because he was signed exclusively to Galaxy.  ... Don't recall for sure though. (And if they did, I don't have the record.)

It does seem like Pepper and Levy would've made a very natural pairing.

Edited by HutchFan

12 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I think Pepper may have made a record with Levy for the Japanese Atlas label, one of those records that couldn't be released in Pepper's name because he was signed exclusively to Galaxy.  ... Don't recall for sure though. (And if they did, I don't have the record.)

It does seem like Pepper and Levy would've made a very natural pairing.

Art Pepper and Lou Levy appear together in this album: 

R-5843190-1537318269-5272.jpeg.jpg

This LP was reissued in this Galaxy CD boxed set: 

R-5108324-1384722593-3220.jpeg.jpg