• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-4780933-1375302214-5459.jpeg.jpg

R-4780933-1375302220-3162.jpeg.jpg

on the one hand...this type of thing has kinda turned me off for about as long as I got over it (and that was a loooong time ago).

on the other hand....DAMN. It will never be better than this, not for this type of thing. Writing/playing, this will be as good as this type of thing gets. Period.

Either way, quite apart from what I do or do not like, there is nothing cheap and/or trivial about this music. If you don't like it, that's your business. But if you don't respect the hell out of it, then you are just plain wrong about that. Sorry.

18 hours ago, JSngry said:

on the one hand...this type of thing has kinda turned me off for about as long as I got over it (and that was a loooong time ago).

on the other hand....DAMN. It will never be better than this, not for this type of thing. Writing/playing, this will be as good as this type of thing gets. Period.

Either way, quite apart from what I do or do not like, there is nothing cheap and/or trivial about this music. If you don't like it, that's your business. But if you don't respect the hell out of it, then you are just plain wrong about that. Sorry.

Great album by JJ !

a1063729360_10.jpg

Full Bandcamp digital version.

19 hours ago, JSngry said:

❤️❤️❤️ It’s a great late-period JJ record... I just spun “El Camino Real” from it a couple of weeks ago on a Thursday afternoon show, a day when I always feature past and present-day Indiana jazz artists.

Right now:

1883411.jpg

Edited by ghost of miles

The JJ....it sounds to me like what a lot of late-60s "Lab Bands" (including THE Lab Band) were trying to do...a lot of fancy writing, no really distinctive soloists (or if there were, they were incidental to the effort)...their role model was always Kenton, and Kenton only went so far, but THIS record, this is what could be done by going furhter and trying ahrder...and doing better.

Much of it sounds like "soundtrack" music to me, but...so be it. It's just so damn well written. And then played the way that type thing should be played, perfectly.

And JJ was always a writer. Always.

Zoot Sims with Jimmy Rowles "If I'm Lucky" Pablo cd

MI0001893746.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Zoot and the Lizard always make a comfortable pairing and the ease-inducing material here is in very good sound. Zoot and Jimmy share the same spirit here. . . probably the same spirits. Both are listening to each other closely and Jimmy is really giving Zoot just what he needs. And Zoot's horn really sounds great on this disc.