• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a big fan of Joe Chambers as a drummer, percussionist, composer. . . . He hasn't recorded enough as a leader. This one came out last week and the music and playing is very good. The sound is unfortunately loud and compressed. I can play it at low volumes. . . wish I could goose it some. 

Joe Chambers "Samba de Maracatu" Blue Note cd

JoeChambers_SambaDeMaracatu_cover-500x50

On 15.2.2021 at 9:42 PM, soulpope said:

CD1 #1-5 : Broadcast live on December 13, 1973 at "De Boerenhofstede", Laren, The Netherlands
CD1 #6-10 : Broadcast live on February 13, 1975 at "De Boerenhofstede", Laren, The Netherlands
CD2 #1-9 : Broadcast live on December 6, 1979 at "De Meerkoet", Lelystad, The Netherlands

:tup:tup:tup  ThanksI

Edited by jazzcorner
correction

54 minutes ago, BillF said:

Blue Note albums took a very long time to appear in this country, so there was great excitement when the first bunch appeared in 1962(?). This was one of them. So was this:

R-2247848-1435919521-6794.jpeg.jpg

That’s right. I have one of those Turrentine early ones. A cluster of 47W63rd labels came in but the majority was NY USA. With the import tax labels of course !

"Four for Trane" Archie Shepp, Impulse/Universal Japan UHQCD. These Impulse UHQCDs sound so good I had to order more, and this is an important cd for me so I had to have the UHQCD--and am not disappointed.

Shepp4forTrane.JPG

Alan Shorter – flugelhorn
John Tchicai – alto saxophone
Archie Shepp – tenor saxophone
Roswell Rudd – trombone, arranger
Reggie Workman – double bass
Charles Moffett – drums

From wikipedia:

According to Coltrane biographer Ashley Kahn, Four for Trane "was a direct result of Coltrane’s intervention, and his faith in the young tenor saxophonist from Philadelphia." Shepp recalled his efforts to get a recording date with Impulse!: "I had spent months trying to get Bob [Thiele] on the phone and he never answered the phone. Every time I'd call, his secretary, Lillian, whom I got to know very well, but at that point I hated her because she said, 'Well he's gone out to lunch,' or 'He's gone home and he's not coming back.' I was living in a fifth-floor walk-up and I'd save a dollar a day just to make ten calls. I'd run down and put a dime in the phone in the drugstore. This went on for months... So this one night I sat in with Trane at the Half Note. I got up enough courage to ask if he would intercede. So John gave me a look — the first time he really sort of looked at me in a very critical way, very questioning. He said, 'You know, a lot of people think I'm easy.' Then he took a very hard look at me. I said, 'Well, John, you can be sure I'm not trying to take advantage. I need this.' He knew I loved him. It wasn't about just trying to get off easy. So he looked at me and he says, 'Well, I'll see what I can do...' The next day I called Thiele's office and lo and behold the secretary says, 'Well, he's not in now but he will be back at three o'clock and he's waiting for your call.' So when I did talk to him, the first thing he said is, 'You guys are avant-garde. I know you're into your own thing. If you do this recording you're going to have to record all of John's music.' I had just been waiting for the chance to do that. I loved Trane's music and I had my own ideas about how to work with it. That became the Four for Trane date..."

Regarding the recording session, Shepp said: "When we did the Four for Trane date, it went down almost take by take, because we had rehearsed nightly for months. After the third song, Bob, who had been really terribly rude at the beginning, smoking his pipe like a chimney, he brightened up a bit, sat down and said, 'I've got to call John and tell him this stuff is great.' He said, 'John, you got to come out and hear this!' Well, Coltrane already knew. He had been listening to this stuff for the last couple of years because the avant-garde was all around New York... John was very gracious. He drove out from his home in Long Island to Englewood, at about eleven o'clock at night. I assumed he got out of his bed, because when we took that photo they put on the album cover [he was] with no socks, you know."