• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Mamman Sani, La Musique Electronique Du Niger (Sahel Sounds)a2634629080_16.jpg

Truly great truly odd record.

I had it on vinyl but sold it recently because noone else in the house would tolerate it, despite putting up with Ayler, Nonaah and a hundred other worse things.

Edited by Rabshakeh

Just finished: 

That's the Way I Feel Now: A Tribute to Thelonious Monk (A&M, 1984) 

R-878262-1456184335-3458.jpeg.jpg

A record that gets better with distance.

If anyone knows the reason why there are so many musicians from the "downtown" scene on a major label big budget tribute to Monk, I'd be interested to know. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

Then onto: 

John Coltrane's Expression (Impulse!, 1967).

R-1045223-1572802251-4982.jpeg (1).jpg

2 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Exciting project for sure .....

I never understood it. How did A&M come up with those players? It's a great selection.

Also, and on a different note, they must have spent a tonne recording it and getting everyone involved to show up, because it still sounds beautiful. But could they not have schtupped the graphics department something?! It looks like a cheap public domain comp.

5 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Then onto: 

John Coltrane's Expression (Impulse!, 1967).

R-1045223-1572802251-4982.jpeg (1).jpg

I never understood it. How did A&M come up with those players? It's a great selection.

Also, and on a different note, they must have spent a tonne recording it and getting everyone involved to show up, because it still sounds beautiful. But could they not have schtupped the graphics department something?! It looks like a cheap public domain comp.

I believe the art work for double vinyl is quite nice .... btw if I`m not mistaken the CD release is missing some material due to time constraint .....

18 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I think graphics are very "1980s." Not necessarily terrible or great. Just representative of the time. IMO.

I didn't realize it was downbeat's critic's choice for album of the year until it came up recently on the "Favorite 1980s Albums" thread. I dig the record. It's interesting. But no way I'd choose any Various Artists record as my album of the year.  ... Then again, no one asked me to vote. :P

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Just finished: 

That's the Way I Feel Now: A Tribute to Thelonious Monk (A&M, 1984) 

R-878262-1456184335-3458.jpeg.jpg

A record that gets better with distance.

If anyone knows the reason why there are so many musicians from the "downtown" scene on a major label big budget tribute to Monk, I'd be interested to know. 

That is a Hal Wilner project - very much a producer driven program. There are more:

51hA2vs8FwL.jpg

R-2563776-1332341385.jpeg.jpg