• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

It really is. And so is this one (listening now):

R-1791361-1331642439.jpeg.jpg

I'm maybe figuring out a nexus between Allyn Ferguson & the variety shows recorded live at Television City in Hollywood that had great (I mean HOLY SHIT great) orchestras playing live and some the music on this album, which definitely sprung out of that environment. I know Allyn Ferguson wrote on this one, did Jack Elliott also?

Whoever played lead trumpet on the Carol Burnette show....that whole band sounded like it was full of jazz players, just the sound and the phrasings...and they were picked up crystal-clear, whoever the sound engineers were on those shows were state of the art. Not something you really notice when you're watching the shows for the entertainment, but on rerun....yeah, there's a BAND on these shows.

16 hours ago, jazzbo said:

No, it's music done by others after his death. Tributes, bands inspired by Ra, etc. His take on "Mausoleum."

:tup Gotcha. Well, I guess at least some tunes from Ra's extensive output should be considered "standards" at this point? Or at least worthy of stuff like this. 

13 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

:tup Gotcha. Well, I guess at least some tunes from Ra's extensive output should be considered "standards" at this point? Or at least worthy of stuff like this. 

I agree. I just don't always connect with interpretations and inspirations of/from those compositions. But some are fascinating.

Now

"The Complete Capitol Live Recordings of George Shearing" Mosaic Records 5 disc set, disc 2. It's fun revisiting this set. Now disc 2

[IMG]

[IMG]

Edited by jazzbo

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

I'm maybe figuring out a nexus between Allyn Ferguson & the variety shows recorded live at Television City in Hollywood that had great (I mean HOLY SHIT great) orchestras playing live and some the music on this album, which definitely sprung out of that environment. I know Allyn Ferguson wrote on this one, did Jack Elliott also?

Whoever played lead trumpet on the Carol Burnette show....that whole band sounded like it was full of jazz players, just the sound and the phrasings...and they were picked up crystal-clear, whoever the sound engineers were on those shows were state of the art. Not something you really notice when you're watching the shows for the entertainment, but on rerun....yeah, there's a BAND on these shows.

Ferguson yes (2 charts), but not Elliott. The other arrangers are Bill Reddie, Dick Grove (great chart on "The Rotten Kid"), Don Piestrup (one of my favorite Rich writers), John Boice, Bill Potts, Don Rader, Bill Holman and Dave Bloomberg. But despite this diversity, there's a surprising unity to the album.

Yes, the days when jazz at least had a look-in on network television were great, but long gone, I'm afraid. 

Now:

See the source image

30 minutes ago, John Tapscott said:

Ferguson yes (2 charts), but not Elliott. The other arrangers are Bill Reddie, Dick Grove (great chart on "The Rotten Kid"), Don Piestrup (one of my favorite Rich writers), John Boice, Bill Potts, Don Rader, Bill Holman and Dave Bloomberg. But despite this diversity, there's a surprising unity to the album.

Yes, the days when jazz at least had a look-in on network television were great, but long gone, I'm afraid. 

Just for grins, check out reruns of the first few seasons of The Carol Burnett show, and The Tim Conway Comedy Hour (which is a bit of an oddball classic anyway). The check out the Away We Go clips on You Tube. There's a unity of sound there in the writing, and they all have Allyn Ferguson in common. Jack Elliot too, although not on the Buddy record.

The dance numbers on the Conway show quite often sound like charts written for but not recorded by Buddy's band and/or the Away We Go Show. I watching this stuff thinking that wow, this sounds familiar, and it did. The New One was the first Buddy record I heard, one of the older kids in stage band had it, so...you know how that went.

Now...I just found out about a Johnny Mathis Mercury record that Allyn Ferguson wrote for, and it is...intricate. In a good way. Did he go on to make any Seabreeze records, or things of that ilk? Seems like a writer with a pretty large palate.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Just for grins, check out reruns of the first few seasons of The Carol Burnett show, and The Tim Conway Comedy Hour (which is a bit of an oddball classic anyway). The check out the Away We Go clips on You Tube. There's a unity of sound there in the writing, and they all have Allyn Ferguson in common. Jack Elliot too, although not on the Buddy record.

The dance numbers on the Conway show quite often sound like charts written for but not recorded by Buddy's band and/or the Away We Go Show. I watching this stuff thinking that wow, this sounds familiar, and it did. The New One was the first Buddy record I heard, one of the older kids in stage band had it, so...you know how that went.

Now...I just found out about a Johnny Mathis Mercury record that Allyn Ferguson wrote for, and it is...intricate. In a good way. Did he go on to make any Seabreeze records, or things of that ilk? Seems like a writer with a pretty large palate.

Don't know about Seabreeze, but the only things that I'm really aware of are a chart or two Ferguson did for Kenton's Neophonic and all the arrangements for these two Basie Band CD's under the direction of Grover Mitchell.

Count Plays Duke Swing Shift

"Count Plays Duke" won a Grammy I believe, but "Swing Shift" is the better of the two, IMHO.  

R-4010820-1352231757-4041.jpeg.jpg

Bob Stewart First Line Band - Goin' Home (JMT, 1989)
with James Zoller (tr), Earl Gardner (tr), John Clark (Fr hn), Steve Turre (tb), Jerome Harris (el g), Buddy Williams (d), Ed Blackwell (d), and Frank Conlon (perc)

The final cut is a 12-and-a-half-minute version of Billy Harper's composition "Priestess." :tup