• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

It's great.

My first exposure to each of them. Purchased on a trip to Rouen in mid 80s because I liked the look of it. I bought a Luther Thomas/Joseph Bowie on Moers at the same time.

Early in my Jazz life, it was exciting...

I like those random decisions. You never really regret them.

Decided to listen to all of this set and am now on disc 2. Lots of vocals on this disc, and that's fine. I'm one of those who dig Chet's singing, and I like his earliest vocals the best. 

"The Complete Pacific Jazz Recordings of the Chet Baker Quartet with Russ Freeman" Disc 2

s-l300.jpg

The Sam Rivers Quartet with Anthony Braxton playing on Live San Francisco 1978.

A really good performance, and a real kick to hear such different musicians play against each other. This time with added tuba.

It also has a rare chance to hear Rivers comping on piano behind a horn player - something that I don't think I have heard before.

I think it is just a boot, but it sounds fantastic and could really do with a formal release. I think that Ricochet, one of the recent live releases on NoBusiness, came from the same residency.

Edited by Rabshakeh

23 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

The Sam Rivers Quartet with Anthony Braxton playing on Live San Francisco 1978.

A really good performance, and a real kick to hear such different musicians play against each other. This time with added tuba.

It also has a rare chance to hear Rivers comping on piano behind a horn player - something that I don't think I have heard before.

I think it is just a boot, but it sounds fantastic and could really do with a formal release. I think that Ricochet, one of the recent live releases on NoBusiness, came from the same residency.

Listening to this now, fascinating.  I hope it's on No Business's radar