• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

bird-at-carnegie-hall.jpg

I didn´t know about this CD. I have the three performances as individual albums, the 1947 Bird and Diz, the 1949 "Chrismas Concert", and I think the 1954 stuff with the guys from MJQ was the last live recording of Bird. He sounds good, but maybe not at his peak. I have that Bellaphone LP "Jazz Tracks" and the last three tracks are those from 1954 "The Song is You", "My funny Valentine" and "Cool Blues". "My Funny Valentine" I think is the only occasion Bird played that tune. 

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

It's generating a lot of traction online. I'm going to give it a go.

I hope you enjoy it.

I'm a big fan of Floating Points and a bigger fan of Pharoah so it was either going to be a horrible disappointment or something rather special. I'm pleased I'm hearing the latter.

I think Shepherd has composed something that shows his real understanding of the Pharaoh/Alice/Impulse legacy.

I also think purists from both camps might not agree as it doesn't explore the outer realms of either genre but brings them together in the middle. Some will quite honestly see that as a musical compromise too far. I don't.

Edited by mjazzg

27 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I hope you enjoy it.

I'm a big fan of Floating Points and a bigger fan of Pharoah so it was either going to be a horrible disappointment or something rather special. I'm pleased I'm hearing the latter.

I think Shepherd has composed something that shows his real understanding of the Pharaoh/Alice/Impulse legacy.

I also think purists from both camps might not agree as it doesn't explore the outer realms of either genre but brings them together in the middle. Some will quite honestly see that as a musical compromise too far. I don't.

It's very good! Pharaoh sounds incredible, and the compositions set him off well. As you say, Floating Points has nailed that Impulse! spiritual feel, but without pastiching it.

10 minutes ago, JSngry said:

71JCL2CUPrL._SL1455_.jpg

81MjIsH33OL._SL1500_.jpg

Bilal Abdur Rahman...this is how I like it.

Is this a recent reissue by NoBusiness? I hadn't heard of it.

29 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I hope you enjoy it.

It's very good! Pharaoh sounds incredible, and the compositions set him off well. As you say, Floating Points has nailed that Impulse! spiritual feel, but without pastiching it.

3 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Is this a recent reissue by NoBusiness? I hadn't heard of it.

Yep, he has done just that. It's very apparent he understands that music.

And Pharoah is just so Pharoah, that gorgeous tone

Edited by mjazzg

R-2254779-1592929291-1632.jpeg?bucket=di

This is great music. But I always get the feeling that these head melodies from 70s jazz really inspired whomever was writing game show or sit-com theme songs back then. Same feeling from some of Tolliver's work from back then too. Or maybe some of these players were involved in ghost writing those tracks too? Once they break out of the head into the solos that goes away. 

21 hours ago, JSngry said:

I was kinda in-between...heard the playing in there, and kinda wanted more of....something else? The ECM-ness maybe nade it sound at once better and worse than it actually was...Frissell….I don't know what happened to him? Maybe nothing, maybe it's me? But I used to get a sense of edge from him that is pretty much gone now...again, maybe it's me.

I haven't looked for edge from Frisell for about twenty years, he's a comfy pair of slippers now.  I'm listening to the album again and I'm enjoying it a lot maybe because ECM-ness has never been a barrier for me, more often a doorway.

iu-2.jpeg

this looks interesting

Edited by mjazzg

20 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

JSngry pretty much summarised my thoughts. I think I was expecting 90s Frisell with 70s Teitelbaum with late 70s / early 80s Andrew Cyrille drumming and writing the material. I got very excited at that prospect. It wasn't that. Perhaps it needs another listen.

I know what he means but it wasn't an issue for me.  I quite liked that it wasn't a combination of those disparate identities but a coming together of some elder statesmen who were prepared to use their own voice to create a whole that was different to each of their own more readily identifiable musical identities.  Perhaps that means it's very much an ECM album but I'm not sure such strong personalities would do that unless they wanted to so I don't hear the evil hand of Manfred :rolleyes: that some might.

I also very much like the follow-up with Wadada