• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Jovino Santos Neto "Nordeste do Alma" Adventure Music cd

jovino-santos-neto-alma-do-nordeste.jpg

If my wife were home we'd be dancing. Can't sit still with this one.

jazzbo -- I'm familiar with Jovino Santos Neto's playing from his work with Hermeto.  But I don't think I've heard any of his solo records.  Would this CD be a good place to begin exploring his music as a leader?  Do you have any particular favorites?

I'm now listening to more music from Klaus Ignatzek:

71tVKXh44dL._SS500_.jpg

Klaus Ignatzek Group - Jacaranda (Timeless, 1988)
Even though there are two Brazilian musicians in this group -- and album shares the same title as Luiz Bonfá's classic record -- this music is (mostly) "straight-ahead" jazz.  ... That said, I think Claudio Roditi sounds good in just about any context. 

... It's still odd that Roditi is not with us any more. :(

34 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

jazzbo -- I'm familiar with Jovino Santos Neto's playing from his work with Hermeto.  But I don't think I've heard any of his solo records.  Would this CD be a good place to begin exploring his music as a leader?  Do you have any particular favorites?

This one is rather samba centric, which is not always the case with Neto. I really love these perhaps my favorites. . . any would be a good entry point:

s-l400.jpg

jsnroda.jpg

PorCausaDeVoce.jpg?fit=390%2C342&ssl=1

s-l640.jpg

5 hours ago, bresna said:

I found a copy of this on discogs and I do like Palmer & Turner so I ordered it. Looking forward to seeing these two again in the future. Palmer used to perform pretty regularly around my area pre-COVID so I'm hoping he's still around.

Yes, good stuff, I also picked up his 2020 quartet recording with Turner.

Now disc 2, Jason Palmer, "The Concert: 12 Musings for Isabella" 

88829598314.jpg?20201029092023

R-14323251-1572215585-3982.jpeg.jpg

R-14323251-1572215590-8596.jpeg.jpg

First Language beauty.

3 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

M.F. Horn 4&5- Live at Jimmy's.jpg

If I was to go back to a Maynard Columbia (and I ain't dead yet, so...), I think this would be it (or 2, for entirely different reasons/wants/needs). Damn lively and frisky, with Bruce Johnstone sounding as much like Gene Ammons as he does anybody, A really, really good record.

19 minutes ago, JSngry said:

R-14323251-1572215585-3982.jpeg.jpg

R-14323251-1572215590-8596.jpeg.jpg

First Language beauty.

I need to give that a spin. :tup 

20 minutes ago, JSngry said:

If I was to go back to a Maynard Columbia (and I ain't dead yet, so...), I think this would be it (or 2, for entirely different reasons/wants/needs). Damn lively and frisky, with Bruce Johnstone sounding as much like Gene Ammons as he does anybody, A really, really good record.

Live at Jimmy's was my Maynard pick for my 70s jazz survey.  It didn't quite make the cut -- but I agree with you. It's surprisingly good.

56 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Live at Jimmy's was my Maynard pick for my 70s jazz survey.  It didn't quite make the cut -- but I agree with you. It's surprisingly good.

Not really "surprisingly"...Maynard always had excellent bands, didn't always make excellent records though...then again, I came of age in such a way that I knew the older Maynard records before the whole "MF HORN thing got out of control and the shitshow took over. If that's how you came to know Maynard, then, yeah, finding out that he made records like THIS would be a surprise! But I heard more or less that same band live around that time, and, yeah, this was how they played live. Fun!

I have a good number of pre-MF HORN Columbia records and don't shy away from them....Color Him Wild on Mainstream is particularly wonderful. Check it out if you don't know it.

81VpDQX%2BO0L._SL1450_.jpg

81r5o-Vm-mL._SL1500_.jpg

Interesting (enough) "post-genre" composed music from the New Amsterdam label of families.

What I get a kick out of is the etiquette(?) of this world including "composer's notes" for each piece. Here's what you're going to hear, here's how it came to be composed, and here's who it's dedicated to, stuff like that, Some are unintentionally revealing, some are delightful, some are just...like,, wow, seriously? and all illustrate why a good liner notes writer is needed now more than ever. :g

Ultimate story...any music that can encompass composers who make overt references to Bach, Bowie, The Cure, endless practice hours, and a distrust of  the supposed "white, Eurocentric" roots of the violin and the "colonizing impact" of "western tonal harmony" is the music of a set of people who are, hopefully, working some shit out, and again, hopefully, better than the last bunch that tried this. I wish time luck, perseverance, and maybe, just maybe, some improvisation up in those heads of y'all's (although, we're seeing several decades running of proof positive that improvisation alone don't mean shit, it can be just as much a trap as anything else). Because, ultimately, you know, at some point, you got to go to where it is to get to where it is. And lord knows, the road is already heading that way from the other side(s), so...step true, people!  It's there if you want it.

I hope the next 20-30 years I plan on living shows that they can and that they do. Otherwise, I'm wasting my time with this, all of it, and I should just keep listening to all that old shit forever and ever, awman.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Not really "surprisingly"...Maynard always had excellent bands, didn't always make excellent records though...then again, I came of age in such a way that I knew the older Maynard records before the whole "MF HORN thing got out of control and the shitshow took over. If that's how you came to know Maynard, then, yeah, finding out that he made records like THIS would be a surprise! But I heard more or less that same band live around that time, and, yeah, this was how they played live. Fun!

I have a good number of pre-MF HORN Columbia records and don't shy away from them....Color Him Wild on Mainstream is particularly wonderful. Check it out if you don't know it.

I hadn't heard Live at Jimmy's in quite a while and while I knew it was good, it seemed to sound particularly good today when I played it. It was one of those albums I cut my jazz baby teeth on back in the mid 70's. Yes, Color Him Wild is a really good one, and so too is this recent reissue of his 2 Cameo recordings (between the Roulette and Mainstream years, I believe).    

51SFf1cSMEL._AC_.jpg

I knew of earlier Maynard threw a really weird twist of fate. When I came into high school, it was with a new band director, who was a jazz/lounge pianist. The band director he replaced was a former big band trumpet player who had spent some time with the Harry James band in the '50s. So he had instilled a love of big band, and especially Maynard, and the existing band members. so one of the kids who was a freshman with me had a brother who had just graduated the year before and who had a manner to collection. For some reason, I don't know, freshman aspirationioalism, he brought a copy of Color Him Wild to school. And guess what, he never got it back!

To this day, it's crazy to me how all this music fell into my lap, totally at random. West Coat, big band, the black music from the newly integrated school system, just, hey here it is if you want it. Blue Notes and Pacific Jazz in the coutout bins, want a Coltrane record, find Transition. Didn't even know any of it existed, and then BAM, that's all there was. And then fusion...there was no escape from some kind of jazz, who knew THAT was where life was going?

Life is crazy.

Those Cameo records ARE good, quite good. Mike Abene and Ronnie Cuber had come on board, Lanny Morgan was still onboard, and as always, the GREAT Willie Maiden!

People who don't like "Maynard Ferguson", I get it. But people equate that with the bands he led, especially the prime ones, they either ain't paying attention or just ain't wired for it. Otherwise, hey, those bands were  on time.

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

In my mind, before my 70s jazz project, my line of thinking went like this: The 60s was where you'd find the cool Maynard Ferguson, and the 1970s was where you'd find the cheeseball Maynard Ferguson. 

But listening proved that "truism" to be untrue.  So maybe it was just my own surprise and not others'.

... I haven't heard Color Him Wild. I'll look into it.  :tup