So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, it's wild, Moody ripping like Tab and/or Willie Smith on some things, honking on others, BirdBop always....he sounds pretty howl-y, actually. Strong stuff and not always "pretty". In fact, almost never pretty, actually. It's deeper than pretty.

Sometimes, on tenor, Moody is sounding like he's locked in mortal combat with Lockjaw as to whose tenor this is that's being played.

• Replies 79.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Started the day off with "The Complete Verve Recordings Of The Buddy De Franco Quartet / Quintet With Sonny Clark" on Mosaic Records, cd 2

R-7415577-1441047909-8224.jpeg.jpg

Then drove to visit my Dad and back, listened to:

"Sonny Meets Hawk!" Sony cd
R-1013068-1184103658.jpeg.jpg

Sony Rollins "What's New?" Sony cd
R-2824427-1302699531.jpeg.jpg

Lee Konitz/Lars Sjosten Octet "Dedicated to Lee--plays the music of Lars Gullin"
s-l400.jpg

Now home and listening to

SF Jazz Collective "Wonder: The Songs of Stevie Wonder"
Collective_cd_wonder_studio-300x300.jpg

51MJjpV2vQL.jpg

Proof that "rarities" does not equal "necessities".  The good stuff comes at the very beginning and the very end of this collection of tidbits.  The CD starts with 8 tracks from a 1955 octet session.  It's some of the usual Kenton guys (Carl Fontana, Bill Perkins, Charlie Mariano, Mel Lewis), playing textbook West Coast jazz.  One realizes quite quickly however that that is not Smiling Stan, You Used Car Dealin' Man (as seen on the cover and late night TV commercials), but in fact, a real piano player.  And it is  -- surprise, surprise -- Dave McKenna!  Never would have thought him to have been ensnared in the Kenton sphere, but there ya go.  The CD ends with a couple of leftover tracks recorded in 1959 for the Tropicana album.  In between is some pretty forgettable stuff including  -- hey, ya remember how the band had a bit of a hit with their version of "September Song" when the band sang a unison vocal?  How would you like to hear 4 more like that including such timeless classics as "Serenade In Blue" and "Harbor Lights"?  Or would you rather hit yourself in the head with a ball peen hammer?  Yeah, me too.

Edited by duaneiac

12 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

That's a really great one. Produced by David Bowie and with the 90s revived (through the movie Trainspotting) title track on it. No, I was mistaken. I mixed it up with the slightly later The Idiot, which actually was produced by Bowie when they lived together in Berlin. That period, that gave birth to the Berlin trilogy (Low, Heroes and Lodger) in the late 70s, is my favorite Bowie.

'the idiot' is fantastic. I was searching for a first UK original copy because i liked it enormously. Searching, searching, searching, ... my sister (not a collector at all) said to me ohhh do you like that album i have one at home and you can have it, don't liste to it much and i haven't got a decent recordplayer. It is a UK original miraculously !

That's luck !!!

23 minutes ago, John Tapscott said:

Mood Ellington

That looks interesting, John.  I like that Levy digs into EKE's back-catalog a bit; he doesn't just play the same old same old hits.  Walrath's presence is also a plus.

What do you think of it?

NP:

R-135692-1546251604-5143.jpeg.jpg

Herbie Hancock - Future Shock (CBS)

Not really jazz. But so what?

Edited by HutchFan

11 hours ago, Referentzhunter said:

my sister (not a collector at all) said to me ohhh do you like that album i have one at home and you can have it, don't liste to it much and i haven't got a decent recordplayer. It is a UK original miraculously !

So you were really lucky! Oh and I also wanted to add that Lust for Life was definitely produced by Bowie, who also played keyboards and something else on it, and wrote most of the tracks. And also, contradicting my post, that Lust for Life was prior to The Idiot, and they were both recorded on the same year, 1977. Something I didn't get right the first time around.

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

710dDdA8I7L._SX522_.jpg

Azymuth - Flame / Spectrum (Milestone, 1984/85)
2 LPs on 1 CD

Wish I could have been there.  :g

I took my daughter with me. She was then 10 and is now 40. Might she end up the last person to have seen Dizzy live? (Poor old Diz departed this world the following year.)

I recently took a look at the London concert which is all on YouTube. I couldn't see them that well from my seat in the stalls in Manchester!

Stars of the show for me were Roditi and Sandoval whom I saw close up in nearby Wigan in those years. Sensational trumpeters!

51 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

aa.jpg?w=584

Not a jazz album at all, but quite listenable for what it is.  "Produced by Sergio Mendes" -- ah, but if that collaboration could have happened back in the 1960's instead of the 1980's, what an album that would have been!

Didn't know Vaughan and Nascimento (and Sergio Mendes) had ever collaborated. But you're right: that should have happened in the 60s.

21 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

That looks interesting, John.  I like that Levy digs into EKE's back-catalog a bit; he doesn't just play the same old same old hits.  Walrath's presence is also a plus.

What do you think of it?

It's excellent, for the very reason you say - many seldom played Ellington pieces with interesting arrangements. Very, very good band, and Jack Walrath is excellent. So too is drummer Jeff Brillinger. I don't know his playing (other than with Woody Herman) but he is perfect for the date, always tasteful and swinging.