So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Today's Dylan break: Greatest Hits Vol.2, the SACD version mastered by Steve Hoffman.

I've always loved the tunes with Happy Traum that were never released before this issue, and the track that was only a single side, "Watchin' the River Flow" and the outtake from that session that had never been issued, "When I Paint My Masterpiece." That's the reason I bought the album when it was a new release, and they still hold up really well.

[IMG]

I was always disappointed that he didn't sing the "Oh to be back in the land of Coca-Cola" that The Band sing in "When I Paint...".  IIRC, Robbie Robertson in his autobiography, claims he added that line.

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jon HassellLast night the moon came dropping its clothes in the street (ECM Records)
MI0000864812.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Collective personnel:
Jon Hassell—trumpet, keyboards; Peter Freeman—bass, laptop; Jan Bang—live sampling; Jamie Muhoberac—keyboard, laptop; Rick Cox—guitar, loops; Kheir Eddine M’Kachiche—violin; Eivind Aarset—guitar; Helge Norbakken—drums; Pete Lockett—drums; Dino J.A. Deane—live sampling; Steve Shehan—percussion

Edited by alankin

Listening to this excellent date, though not in the edition pictured, in the new Jazz In Paris release edition. Seems to be the non-RVG Blue Note release tweaked a bit in the mastering. 

Love Bud and Kenny with Dex!

MI0002519171.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

I was always disappointed that he didn't sing the "Oh to be back in the land of Coca-Cola" that The Band sing in "When I Paint...".  IIRC, Robbie Robertson in his autobiography, claims he added that line.

I confess I never noticed the difference in the lyrics. . . .

Interesting that both "Watch the River Flow" and "When I Paint my Masterpiece," recorded at the same session, are about "writer's block". . . .

Charlie_Parker_and_strings_at_Birdland_1

charlie parker
March 31, 1951 Birdland, New York
April 7, 1951 Birdland, New York
April 12, 1951 Christy's Restaurant, Framingham
April 21, 1951 (?) Christy's Restaurant, Framingham
Spring 1951 Birdland, New York interview.
Spring 1951 Birdland, New York
June 1951 Veterans Administration Hospital, Philadelphia

Dee_Dee_Bridgewater_Love_and_Peace.jpg

Dee Dee Bridgewater is a vocalist I have never quite warmed up to, but this tribute to Horace Silver is probably the best thing I have heard by her.  HS himself guested on two tracks and Jimmy Smith showed up for another two.

514VHlpwlTL._SY355_.jpg

Anything by Maxine Sullivan is A-OK in my book and this album is no exception.  It benefits by the inclusion of some lesser known tunes such as "Have Feet Will Dance" and "Poor You".

51wYcrvSPAL.jpg

Includes guests such as David Murray, David Sanchez, Randy Brecker, Joe Locke and Don Alias.  A mixed bag.