Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-2366467-1580168627-2903.jpeg.jpgR-2366467-1580168624-2959.jpeg.jpg

You know what's a good record? It's when you hear cuts off it on a sunday nite AM jazz show out of Des Moines (the same nite they were playing the Von Freeman record, must have been Atlantic time!) and you're like, wow, that's a motherfucker, gotta get that (same with the Von), so ok, next trip to a big city record store, get that one, and yeah, love it to death for years to come (ESPECIALLY Side 1, which was when the thing got pulled back so the record would just play over and over, sometimes all night into the sleep and out again), but then eventually don't listen to it for a decade or two, b/c, you know, it's IN there, but then somebody gives you a CD version that they have bought two of for some reason, and then putting it on, not only do you remember every note, but IT STILL FEELS THE SAME!!!!

That's love, and a good record is love.

R-4828709-1538696508-8928.jpeg.jpg

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

R-2366467-1580168627-2903.jpeg.jpgR-2366467-1580168624-2959.jpeg.jpg

You know what's a good record? It's when you hear cuts off it on a sunday nite AM jazz show out of Des Moines (the same nite they were playing the Von Freeman record, must have been Atlantic time!) and you're like, wow, that's a motherfucker, gotta get that (same with the Von), so ok, next trip to a big city record store, get that one, and yeah, love it to death for years to come (ESPECIALLY Side 1, which was when the thing got pulled back so the record would just play over and over, sometimes all night into the sleep and out again), but then eventually don't listen to it for a decade or two, b/c, you know, it's IN there, but then somebody gives you a CD version that they have bought two of for some reason, and then putting it on, not only do you remember every note, but IT STILL FEELS THE SAME!!!!

That's love, and a good record is love.

That album made me love the music of Duke Ellington and Al Hibbler (Rahsaan I altready loved).

5 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

That album made me love the music of Duke Ellington and Al Hibbler (Rahsaan I altready loved).

Hibler was the only one I had no real exposure to, outside of a few 40s Ellington things. I read reviews of the record and they kept referring to his "eccentricities", which I really did NOT understand in the context of this record, he just sounded like a REALLY deep singer of perhaps slightly advanced years who would just have whatever way he wanted with syllables and vowels and shit, and I LOVED that, still do. I've since heard his from earlier days, and, ok, "eccentric", but BFD, right? This is a glorious record, imo.

Although...CDs don't have Sides 1 + 2, so going straight from one to the other on this record, which, yeah, I would jam just the Hibbler side for hours - DAYS - on end before flipping it over...this is different. But still, you get to that 1-2 of "I Didn't Know About You" and "Something 'Bout Believing", ok, now I can just loop the CD instead of an LP side.

Maybe it slips under the Kirk Radar these days, I don't know. But, yeah, I will reach for this one any time, no hesitations, especially now that I have a CD and now know that memory was accurate about what gets stirred when it gets played.

91gFG0HFCQL._SX566_.jpg

Flora Purim - Midnight Sun (Venture, 1988)

50 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Andrew Hill "Dance with Death" Blue Note Japan cd

R-3840609-1586482844-9016.jpeg.jpg

Great session with Farrell, Toliver, Sprolles and Higgins.

I've never seen that cover before.  It's sorta creepy!

Love the session, of course.  But I'm only familiar with the more "traditional Blue Note" cover -- which, ironically, is the reissue.

2 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

91gFG0HFCQL._SX566_.jpg

Flora Purim - Midnight Sun (Venture, 1988)

I've never seen that cover before.  It's sorta creepy!

Love the session, of course.  But I'm only familiar with the more "traditional Blue Note" cover -- which, ironically, is the reissue.

Yes, I'm most familiar with this one from the LP days. . . I kindof dig it, would make a nice hard-boiled crime novel cover.

Now

Andrew Hill "Dusk"

MI0001436947.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Andrew Hill "Dance with Death" Blue Note Japan cd

R-3840609-1586482844-9016.jpeg.jpg

Great session with Farrell, Toliver, Sprolles and Higgins.

One of Andrew Hill`s best on Blue Note .... which says a lot .... btw the original King Record Japan vinyl cover art is beautiful ....

Erhu Master: Zhu Changyao (Cradle Records)

No idea what this is other than "traditional" Chinese music played in an orchestral setting. My daughter picked it up for me out of the $2 bin at Half-Price, said it "looked like something you would like"...and she's right. Took me over a year to finally get to it, but fresh now that i have.