• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hasaan Ibn Ali "Metaphysics--The Lost Atlantic Album" Omnivore Records cd
816651019571.jpg

hasaan-ibn-ali--photo-credit-larry-fink_

The second and final album Ali released in his lifetime, the original stereo and mono tapes lost in the "great fire," a tape recorded from mono acetates finally mastered and released this week (as most here likely already know). Dense, fascinating music in decent sound.  Such a loss that this and the trio album with Roach are all we have. There’s a chance some private recordings may see the light of day according to the liners. Art Davis is wonderful here, an anchor on a stormy sea.

Edited by jazzbo

Miles Davis "Miles in the Sky" Mobile Fidelity SACD

Miles_Davis______573e35d8da849.jpg

I've rolled a few amazing tubes lately and had to listen to something very familiar to see "what condition my condition is in." My condition is very good. LOVE this music. It's become part of my brain language.

On 27/04/2021 at 3:26 PM, jazzbo said:

Rahsaan Roland Kirk "Boogie Woogie String Along For Real" Warner Japan cd

s-l640.jpg

This one has Sammy Price, and Tiny Grimes, on some tracks. Even at the end Kirk was a force.

This is such a great album, listening now because of your post yesterday. Thank you.

'Black Classical Music', indeed

23 hours ago, JSngry said:

R-2366467-1580168627-2903.jpeg.jpgR-2366467-1580168624-2959.jpeg.jpg

You know what's a good record? It's when you hear cuts off it on a sunday nite AM jazz show out of Des Moines (the same nite they were playing the Von Freeman record, must have been Atlantic time!) and you're like, wow, that's a motherfucker, gotta get that (same with the Von), so ok, next trip to a big city record store, get that one, and yeah, love it to death for years to come (ESPECIALLY Side 1, which was when the thing got pulled back so the record would just play over and over, sometimes all night into the sleep and out again), but then eventually don't listen to it for a decade or two, b/c, you know, it's IN there, but then somebody gives you a CD version that they have bought two of for some reason, and then putting it on, not only do you remember every note, but IT STILL FEELS THE SAME!!!!

That's love, and a good record is love.

This one now

R-7618755-1494267457-7880.jpeg.jpg

Over the past week and a half I've gradually made my way through all 5 discs of this set.  Some random thoughts:

Considering some of the musicians involved were into their fourth decade of playing this material, the music here is kept lively and fresh for the most part.  I didn't hear any one "phoning it in" on these sessions. The final session, from 1962, is perhaps the weakest.  I mean, these guys playing "Baby Elephant Walk"?  These guys were not Mancini guys and it shows.

1906 was a good year for jazz.  Vic Dickenson, Bud Freeman and Wild Bill Davison were all born that year!

Did any one ever want to be Louis Armstrong more than Bill Davison?  Not that he was an imitator, really, but he obviously learned a lot from Armstrong's records, adopted/adapted what he heard and came out with his own exciting, if not entirely unique, style.  He was much too good a trumpeter to be all but ignored these days.

It's perhaps easy to overlook just how good Edmond Hall was.  I suppose most people in general (not the jazz devotees here, of course) know/heard him from the time he spent as a member of Louis Armstrong's All-Stars. But he was truly a master of his instrument and much more than just another sideman.

Walter Page -- Sure, sure "Bird Lives", but Walter Page Abides!  Folks two counties over could tell you exactly where the beat was when Walter Page laid it down!  There is an energy, a vibrant force to his playing which still comes across these many decades later.

A couple of young cats were involved here.  Ralph Sutton impresses right away on the few tracks on which he plays.  Bob Wilber, while good, still had some growing and learning to do.

3 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

R-7618755-1494267457-7880.jpeg.jpg

Over the past week and a half I've gradually made my way through all 5 discs of this set.  Some random thoughts:

Considering some of the musicians involved were into their fourth decade of playing this material, the music here is kept lively and fresh for the most part.  I didn't hear any one "phoning it in" on these sessions. The final session, from 1962, is perhaps the weakest.  I mean, these guys playing "Baby Elephant Walk"?  These guys were not Mancini guys and it shows.

1906 was a good year for jazz.  Vic Dickenson, Bud Freeman and Wild Bill Davison were all born that year!

Did any one ever want to be Louis Armstrong more than Bill Davison?  Not that he was an imitator, really, but he obviously learned a lot from Armstrong's records, adopted/adapted what he heard and came out with his own exciting, if not entirely unique, style.  He was much too good a trumpeter to be all but ignored these days.

It's perhaps easy to overlook just how good Edmond Hall was.  I suppose most people in general (not the jazz devotees here, of course) know/heard him from the time he spent as a member of Louis Armstrong's All-Stars. But he was truly a master of his instrument and much more than just another sideman.

Walter Page -- Sure, sure "Bird Lives", but Walter Page Abides!  Folks two counties over could tell you exactly where the beat was when Walter Page laid it down!  There is an energy, a vibrant force to his playing which still comes across these many decades later.

A couple of young cats were involved here.  Ralph Sutton impresses right away on the few tracks on which he plays.  Bob Wilber, while good, still had some growing and learning to do.

I love this set too. Nice breakdown.

Edited by jazzbo