• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, rostasi said:

SG15lEF.jpg

:tup!

4 hours ago, jazzbo said:

A brief sidestep from jazz to listen to this. Nearly a year since its release now. I haven't listened that often to "Murder Most Foul" so I'm making up for that now.

Bob Dylan "Rough and Rowdy Ways" Sony Japan cd release, disc 2

471372.jpg?sfrm=png

If you made it all the way through "Murder Most Foul" even once, then ya got me beat!  The other disc is pretty good though. :)

Recent listening

R-2938969-1612658245-7506.png.jpg

Disc 2

I think this amazing performance may get overlooked since it wasn't an actual hit for her..That ending is so powerful and, for me, unsettling.  When she sings "Here they come", it kind of makes me feel the need to look over my shoulder to see if they really are.  Not only are they coming, as Drew Barrymore once so succinctly phrased it, "They're here!".

23 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Sonsofkemetblacktothefuture_600_594.png

I've noticed a couple of people mentioning that they've bought or listened to this one recently.

Any views from anyone?

It seems to have gotten rave reviews, but that seems to be standard these days, so it is hard to tell.

Meanwhile, I'm listening to this for the first time:

Lee Konitz Quartet - Ideal Scene (Soul Note, 1983).

R-6689423-1479831669-5886.jpeg.jpg

Recorded on an auspicious day for me, so I am pleased at how much I am enjoying it. Nice to hear Lee Konitz in a setting with a bit more group dynamics and arrangements than usual for him (not a criticism of his other records!).

Edited by Rabshakeh

14 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I've noticed a couple of people mentioning that they've bought or listened to this one recently.

Any views from anyone?

It seems to have gotten rave reviews, but that seems to be standard these days, so it is hard to tell.

This is my first listen and I'm also very impressed.  I thought 'Your Queen Is A Reptile' was a very strong statement of the then current "scene" but if I had a criticism I found a bit one-paced.  This new one has a few more shades to it, it's still based on a dominant rhythmic foundation which if you don't get on with will be an issue for enjoyment.  But the rhythms are more varied, Hutchings plays some flute and the vocal contributions are all sharp and don't overstay their welcome. 

Interestingly, for me if no-one else, I played it straight after Roach/Shepp 'Long March' and that didn't seem too much of a leap.  Very different sounds but not, if you get my drift.

5 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

This is my first listen and I'm also very impressed.  I thought 'Your Queen Is A Reptile' was a very strong statement of the then current "scene" but if I had a criticism I found a bit one-paced.  This new one has a few more shades to it, it's still based on a dominant rhythmic foundation which if you don't get on with will be an issue for enjoyment.  But the rhythms are more varied, Hutchings plays some flute and the vocal contributions are all sharp and don't overstay their welcome. 

Interestingly, for me if no-one else, I played it straight after Roach/Shepp 'Long March' and that didn't seem too much of a leap.  Very different sounds but not, if you get my drift.

Half of it is a great album. The guest "vocalists" on the other half, I mostly don't care for (the music is still good though).

Edited by kh1958