• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stanley Cowell, Billy Harper, Reggie Workman and Billy Hart - Such Great Friends (Strata-East, 1983).

D7C012D8-80A0-4FC5-B4A7-DC589F6C8054.jpeg

First time I’ve listened to this one. I’m enjoying it. A fuller and richer sound than you normally expect from the early 1980s.

Now on: 

Blue Gene (Prestige, 1958) by Gene Ammons.

AB2CE06A-ABA6-472A-BB8B-0CADC9E8CCBC.jpeg

This time disc IV: So, about the Amsterdam Concert I can say, that it has the same tunes like the "Great Concert in Paris", but "Paris" has a much better recording sound. One very nice thing is, that here on "Sophisticated Lady" it´s also 16 bars of Jakie Byard solo. 

There is much great stuff happenig, but I like the "Paris Concert" more. 

And I hope it´s not a sacrileg, but I´m not really happy with Johnny Coles on trumpet. Somehow, as we see from the Paris concert, the proceedings go even better without him.

Somehow, he doesn´t really fit into that group of giants like Dolphy, Byard, and Clifford Jordan, who becomes greater and stronger every time. 

Johnny Coles has a more plaintative sound, it reminds me a bit of Ornette Coleman if he played trumpet. 

And on the Amsterdam section you sometimes have difficulties to hear the bass, which is a pity, since Mingus, as I think, was the most exiting  bass player ever, with all due respect to Paul Chambers and Ron Carter and all of them. 

And Danny Richmond get´s more spotlight on the Paris Concert. 

Herunterladen.jpg

R-2788733-1522088106-7244.jpeg.jpg

I was expecting a really godawful record, but in fact got a good quantity of upbeat E-Z cheer, disposably keepable for the next time you want cocktail music for people who are tired of Chet Atkins and want something more mod-y and peppey. But you do need to take Joe's head off the guitar neck, I get that it was intended to be an olive on a swizzle stick, but, ok, Joe, you tried. Now let's go and get that fixes, thanks buddy!

And let's all take note, because this is important - he does NOT ruch the time here, not at all. Extra 25 Enjoymnet Points for that alone!

ab67616d0000b273d290c392b255936d59a819c2

"Honi Gordon Sings" Prestige cd 

I love the song "Strollin'" . . . this version and others. Haven't spun this cd in some time and I'm enjoying the revisit. Great band with Byard, McIntyre, Richardson, Duvivier and Shaughnessy.