• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Dub Modal said:

R-1383777-1310821087.jpeg.jpg

Really enjoyed this one. Monk & Rich in the rhythm section with Curly Russell on bass. 

One of the first jazz CDs I and every jazz fan of roughly my age that I know bought. For some reason, record shops in 90s London were awash with this one at a discount price.

Edited by Rabshakeh

1 minute ago, Rabshakeh said:

One of the first jazz CDs I and every jazz fan of roughly my age that I know bought. For some reason, record shops in 90s London were awash with this one at a discount price.

Recent buy and first time listen for myself. Only got into jazz about 5 years or so ago, so a lot of these classics are new to me. 

7 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Recent buy and first time listen for myself. Only got into jazz about 5 years or so ago, so a lot of these classics are new to me. 

It was just one of those things. Some guy in a suit on one continent decides that a cut price tie in with a coffee chain or something is a good way to shift product. Three years later, on another continent, a spotty kid in unfashionable clothes looks at a record rack and sees something on offer for a price he can afford. Meanwhile, everyone else in his peer group does the same thing.

The other 90s discount phenomenon that I remember was the bizarre Frank Zappa comp Cheap Thrills, which I recall being everywhere. Twenty years before, I think that Virgin Records' Faust Tapes was the big one (before my time). Flood the discount bins and see what you get!

Edited by Rabshakeh

11 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

I've been listening to Jazz for at least 35 years (Yikes!) and I don't think I've heard that one yet...

6 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Some guy in a suit on one continent decides that a cut price tie in with a coffee chain or something is a good way to shift product. Three years later, on another continent, a spotty kid in unfashionable clothes looks at a record rack and sees something on offer for a price he can afford. Meanwhile, everyone else in his peer group does the same thing.

Ha, those were the days. We had a local shop that had a big listening station set up in the middle of the store where you could take any CD and listen to it before buying or not buying. This was pre-internet of course. 

1 minute ago, mjazzg said:

I've been listening to Jazz for at least 35 years (Yikes!) and I don't think I've heard that one yet...

I was pleasantly surprised. Don't know why, but my expectations were low for this (maybe I thought chemistry beyond Bird and Diz would be nonexistent?).