So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

16 hours ago, JSngry said:

All these years having to run away from Streisand & the like, hell columbia does one record with Joanie Sommers, gets Mort Garson (of Arthur Prysock) and BOOM who cares about that?

A lot of people, obviously, but...Joanie Sommers got skills, is it ok to say that? If it was really that way, everybody would do it, right?

Did everybody do that?

14 hours ago, rostasi said:

Mort Garson - Mother Earth's Plantasia

9HYejjy.jpg

uTEW8AM.jpg

Mort Garson was a talented guy. I've got a couple of his albums. Going to reach for one before the weekend's out. 

Meanwhile, playing some John Patton. First up, Accent on the Blues

R-11739042-1523537460-9872.jpeg.jpg

With Blood Ulmer & Marvin Cabell - great, great album. Up next and now: 

R-1450495-1328569532.jpeg.jpg

• Replies 79.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Meanwhile, playing some John Patton. First up, Accent on the Blues

R-11739042-1523537460-9872.jpeg.jpg

With Blood Ulmer & Marvin Cabell - great, great album. Up next and now: 

My favorite Patton BN, hands-down. Total band action, not "solos + band"!

R-4398643-1363826295-6823.jpeg.jpg

Moving on to more Patton, this time Blue John. Per Discogs there was only an original test pressing of this LP on plastylite(!) then absolutely nothing until the 1986 DMM LP and cassette(!!!). Later on came CDs. Wild. They must not have thought much about this album. 

Now that I'm listening to it maybe it had to do with subpar sonics from the session? Or is that just my CD version of this?

Edited by Dub Modal

THE LLOYD MCNEILL QUARTET | WASHINGTON SUITE | ASHA | 1970 | US FIRST STEREO PRESSING ASHA_3 LP 

[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]

This album, of course, is a favourite of many Soul and Fusion Jazz aficionados and doesn't require much introduction. I feel the greatest achievement of this album is how it turned even the most ardent of flute-haters into flute enthusiasts. The recording, the perfect control of all instruments used and the arrangements make this one of my desert island records. 
When I first listened to this original pressing I was shocked by how different it sounded compared to the Soul Jazz / Universal Sounds reissue (available on CD and LP). I couldn't put my finger on it right away; at first I thought the transfer used for the reissue (sadly, no master tapes exist anymore, so all reissues were cut from a needle drop) lacked bass. But then I realized the original is much slower than the reissue. "Home Rule" for example, clocks in at 6:25 minutes - on the Soul Jazz LP and CD, this track merely lasts 6:00. Same goes for all other tracks, which are between 20 and 35 seconds faster on the reissue. Overall, the original is about 2 minutes slower - believe me, you don't need perfect pitch hearing to hear that. I guess either the turntable used by Soul Jazz for the vinyl transfer wasn't properly set up or the pitch got accidentally changed during digital mastering. Anyway, I'm curious to hear/read how obvious the difference in pitch is to you (if you don’t have any version of this album yet, you can find it on Spotify, which is the Soul Jazz version - compare that to the youtube uploads which were done from a different transfer without speed issues). I had to laugh when I thought about how much trouble mastering engineers went to reset pitch on "Kind of Blue", which was maybe 1% too fast on the original six-eye pressing compared to the three track tapes; here you have a reissue that is about 5% too fast or more and nobody even noticed before releasing it.

12 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

R-4398643-1363826295-6823.jpeg.jpg

Moving on to more Patton, this time Blue John. Per Discogs there was only an original test pressing of this LP on plastylite(!) then absolutely nothing until the 1986 DMM LP and cassette(!!!). Later on came CDs. Wild. They must not have thought much about this album. 

Now that I'm listening to it maybe it had to do with subpar sonics from the session? Or is that just my CD version of this?

I think the first CD version that came out was white spine ‘Collectors Choice’. Still have my copy.

Big John did have a habit of issuing one offs on BN which then went into obscurity (i.e. ‘Memphis’ German Liberty).

ea58d30e.jpg

Liking it !

2 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I think the first CD version that came out was white spine ‘Collectors Choice’. Still have my copy.

Big John did have a habit of issuing one offs on BN which then went into obscurity (i.e. ‘Memphis’ German Liberty).

Actually, I'm now noticing that Braith is playing a Stritch. At first it sounded like the sax was distant, then almost kazoo-ish. Now that I know it's a Stritch I take back my bad SQ comment. This is a damn good album. I wonder if there were second thoughts about how the Stritch sounded on the recording, but not the overall recording. 

3 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Actually, I'm now noticing that Braith is playing a Stritch. At first it sounded like the sax was distant, then almost kazoo-ish. Now that I know it's a Stritch I take back my bad SQ comment. This is a damn good album. I wonder if there were second thoughts about how the Stritch sounded on the recording, but not the overall recording. 

I’d even forgotten Braith was on that one ! :wacko:  Must dig it out this weekend (if I can find it).

13 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I’d even forgotten Braith was on that one ! :wacko:  Must dig it out this weekend (if I can find it).

Actually going by the full "Braithwaite" on the cover. Side question is that I'm wondering if he was related to Junior Braithwaite of early Wailers fame? 

And actually, I think Braith might be playing his Braithophone! It's a Stritch & soprano mended together. Wild wild stuff. 

Edited by Dub Modal

Random Radio 083: Get the Balance Right

Henry Kaiser / Damon Smith - Unlocatable Questions
Jacob Lindsay / Ava Mendoza / Damon Smith / Weasel Walter - Blown Out
Birgit Ulher / Damon Smith / Martin Blume - 0.02x0.90x1.20m (07.22)
Carl - Double Crime, Pt. II
Jaap Blonk / Damon Smith - Totenklage (Dirge)
Alvin Fielder / David Dove / Jason Jackson / Damon Smith - From-To-From
Alvin Fielder / Damon Smith - Improvisation 3
Danny Kamins / Damon Smith / Alvin Fielder / Joe Hertenstein - Storms Pt. 2
Frank Gratkowski / Scott R. Looney / Damon Smith / Kjell Nordeson - Badger Interlocks Kiwi
Gianni Gebbia / Damon Smith / Garth Powell - Bring Flowers
Frank Gratkowski / Damon Smith / Jerome Bryerton - Two Instances of Libel/One Memory Lapse: Increased (A)
Henry Kaiser / Damon Smith / Weasel Walter - Violent Is the Word for Curly
Jaap Blonk / Sandy Ewen / Damon Smith / Chris Cogburn - On the Big Wulk
Henry Kaiser Sextett - So What Do You Think About John Stevens?
Carol Genetti / Damon Smith + Fred Lonberg-Holm - Self-Perpetuating
Damon Smith - Reference
Georg Graewe / Damon Smith / Michael Vatcher - Semaphore #06
Ewen / Smith / Walter - Avant Garden 2
Burton Greene / Damon Smith / Ra Kalam Bob Moses - Anything That Ain't Yes, Get Rid of It!
Bertram Turetzky / Damon Smith - Woodsong
Alvin Fielder / Frode Gjerstad / Damon Smith - Angles, Curves, Edges & Mass Pt. 1
Henry Kaiser / Steve Parker / Damon Smith / Chris Cogburn - !Kung

8 hours ago, rostasi said:

Random Radio 083: Get the Balance Right

Henry Kaiser / Damon Smith - Unlocatable Questions
Jacob Lindsay / Ava Mendoza / Damon Smith / Weasel Walter - Blown Out
Birgit Ulher / Damon Smith / Martin Blume - 0.02x0.90x1.20m (07.22)
Carl - Double Crime, Pt. II
Jaap Blonk / Damon Smith - Totenklage (Dirge)
Alvin Fielder / David Dove / Jason Jackson / Damon Smith - From-To-From
Alvin Fielder / Damon Smith - Improvisation 3
Danny Kamins / Damon Smith / Alvin Fielder / Joe Hertenstein - Storms Pt. 2
Frank Gratkowski / Scott R. Looney / Damon Smith / Kjell Nordeson - Badger Interlocks Kiwi
Gianni Gebbia / Damon Smith / Garth Powell - Bring Flowers
Frank Gratkowski / Damon Smith / Jerome Bryerton - Two Instances of Libel/One Memory Lapse: Increased (A)
Henry Kaiser / Damon Smith / Weasel Walter - Violent Is the Word for Curly
Jaap Blonk / Sandy Ewen / Damon Smith / Chris Cogburn - On the Big Wulk
Henry Kaiser Sextett - So What Do You Think About John Stevens?
Carol Genetti / Damon Smith + Fred Lonberg-Holm - Self-Perpetuating
Damon Smith - Reference
Georg Graewe / Damon Smith / Michael Vatcher - Semaphore #06
Ewen / Smith / Walter - Avant Garden 2
Burton Greene / Damon Smith / Ra Kalam Bob Moses - Anything That Ain't Yes, Get Rid of It!
Bertram Turetzky / Damon Smith - Woodsong
Alvin Fielder / Frode Gjerstad / Damon Smith - Angles, Curves, Edges & Mass Pt. 1
Henry Kaiser / Steve Parker / Damon Smith / Chris Cogburn - !Kung

Some interesting looking stuff in here.