• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, BillF said:

:tup

Now playing:

81d2Ws3wbpL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Great record. Several tracks showcase Ronnie's affection for the Latin side. Michael Weiss' piano playing stands out to me. The closer, "Better Git It In Your Soul" is great, with Ronnie going to town in his short solo. Weiss' bouncy piano sets a mood that just makes you want to get up and dance. Worth the price for that track alone. Another great track is Cuber's "Humacao". Weiss' solo here has a little of that locked-hands style that reminds me of Garland. I wonder if that was what he was going for there?

52 minutes ago, bresna said:

Great record. Several tracks showcase Ronnie's affection for the Latin side. Michael Weiss' piano playing stands out to me. The closer, "Better Git It In Your Soul" is great, with Ronnie going to town in his short solo. Weiss' bouncy piano sets a mood that just makes you want to get up and dance. Worth the price for that track alone. Another great track is Cuber's "Humacao". Weiss' solo here has a little of that locked-hands style that reminds me of Garland. I wonder if that was what he was going for there?

Cheers.

Just finished this one:

Anthony Braxton - Donna Lee (America, 1972)

R-1134802-1371840132-1425.jpeg (1).jpg

From previous listens, I generally think of this record as Exhibit 1 in the evidence in favour of the arguments of the "tin-eared Braxton can't play standards" camp. I don't belong to that camp (I think that there are some great Braxton standards/tribute records), but I can see the argument is justified at times, particularly here. 

What strikes me about it when revisiting years (and many many standards sets) later is that, quite aside from the usual contraversy, it is also an uncharacteristically "normal" record. It is mostly shredding, rather aimless, energy music of the sort that would sit easily in ESP's or BYG's catalogues. 

Now playing: 

The Poll Winners (Contemporary, 1957)

R-3513300-1480367193-7774.jpeg (1).jpg

Edited by Rabshakeh

7 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Tony Williams "Civilization" Blue Note cd

51cmxSfgA1L._SY300_SX300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Interesting to revisit these Wiliams cds. I overplayed them when new and then left them lie fallow for a spell.

I listened to this one earlier today: 

Tony Williams Quintet - Native Heart (Blue Note, 1989)

R-1381016-1214668068.jpeg (1).jpg

Good playing, but it feels like a revisiting of past glory rather than something new. I think that there is a bit of a contrast to what e.g. Wayne Shorter was doing, which felt more like progression.

Edited by Rabshakeh

Yeah well. . . Wayne progressed himself right into music that really doesn't speak to me. I hate to say it but I reach for Wayne's 'eighties and beyond with increasing less frequency, and appreciate the material Tony produced more at this time. Just me and my tastes.

9 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Yeah well. . . Wayne progressed himself right into music that really doesn't speak to me. I hate to say it but I reach for Wayne's 'eighties and beyond with increasing less frequency, and appreciate the material Tony produced more at this time. Just me and my tastes.

Everyone has their sweet spot.