• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First:

R-2481188-1423171060-3212.jpeg.jpg

At times these guys seem to want the listener to think they can't swing, but then they cut loose and do. Some really interesting variation on this album, a good one. 

And now:

R-3384875-1328317365.jpeg.jpg

R-3384875-1582322071-4450.jpeg.jpg

Not a fan of the Burns doc, but these CDs that came out as supplements to the program are good comps.

There's such tension in this music and I hear Bird as driving that throughout. I feel like that's one of the things Miles learned from him. Masterful stuff, of course. 

MILES DAVIS AND THE LIGHTHOUSE ALL-STARS: AT LAST !cover_242162262016_r.jpg

First time I've heard this one. No one's best. The high point is those shirts, I think.

Given its all recorded on one live date, and there are two tracks with two trumpets - Davis with Rolf Ericson, it seems odd that there is no track with both Baker and Davis.

Edited by Rabshakeh

Joe Lovano Trio Tapestry (ECM), "Garden of Expression" with Marilyn Crispell and drummer Carmen Castaldi

Have never liked much if any ECM music, both the style(s) of the music(s) and Eicher's needlepoint spacey sonics; nor have I liked much if any Lovano. But this one, which I picked for $2 at Half Price Books the other day, has surprised me.  Lovano is at his most airy/breathy and laid back for the most part, Crispell is crystalline and meditative, at times almost Morton Feldman-like, and Castaldi is reserved/delicate/cymbal oriented. Best of all, the overall meditative flavor of what they're doing not only seems genuine but also fits Eicher's sonic habits like a glove or rather vice versa -- the sonics don't seem like clothing but a realization of what this particular music was conceived to be. Engineer is Stefano Amerio, album was recorded in an auditorium in Lugano.

BTW, when I listened to this in the car on the way home, I wanted to throw it out the window. Only when I played it at home did my mind begin to change. If you think an intervention is called for, intervene before it's too late.

19 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Is Bartok close enough?

Well, call me old school (but hey, my friends just call me "old"), but if you can't march with it, then you don't get to include it in your "marching" band.  That's what brought my (admittedly mediocre) music career to a screeching halt.  I played drums in our school band from 5th thru 8th grades.  But when I moved on to high school, you couldn't play in the stage band unless you also played in the marching band.  Being a 115 pound weakling at the time, I said "Eff that".  Had I been allowed to stay on the sidelines and bang away on stuff, I coulda been a contender, Charlie.  Instead of a bum . .  which is what I am . . .:rlol

But really, some one needs to make "The Jackie-ing March" happen one day.

10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Eddie Harris - The Real Electrifying Eddie Harris (Mutt & Jeff Records/Ubiquity Jazz, 1983)

Is this a remix of the original record of that title or something wholly new?

2 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

BTW, when I listened to this in the car on the way home, I wanted to throw it out the window. Only when I played it at home did my mind begin to change. If you think an intervention is called for, intervene before it's too late.

We’ve called Jan and Terje. They’re on their way over.