• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MARION BROWN | MUSIQUE DU FILM DE MARCEL CAMUS _ LE TEMPS FOU | POLYDOR_PRIVILEGE | 1969 |FRENCH FIRST STEREO PRESSING 658 142 LP

marionbrowntempsfou1.jpg
marionbrowntempsfou3.jpg marion-brown-quintet-paris-1968.jpg
marionbrowntempsfou2.jpg

Marion Brown's rarest record and one of his finest is a soundtrack for Marcel Camus' film "Le Temps Fou" ("Crazy Time" or "Crazy Weather"). The music heard on this record is mostly free improvised Jazz, but on one track, "Boat Rock", Brown unleashes a Free Funk monster that should have made him a rich man were we living in a just world, except we're not. Can't get enough of this music and the gorgeous cover, which is as psychedelic as a Jazz cover probably gets, but in my list of favourite Marion Brown albums, his debut still ranks on first place. This has recently been reissued by "Le Très Jazz Club" from France with original artwork (even used a flipback construction as found on the original pressing) and from what I read it also sounds good.

Edited by cds23

39 minutes ago, cds23 said:
MARION BROWN | MUSIQUE DU FILM DE MARCEL CAMUS _ LE TEMPS FOU | POLYDOR_PRIVILEGE | 1969 |FRENCH FIRST STEREO PRESSING 658 142 LP

marionbrowntempsfou1.jpg
marionbrowntempsfou3.jpg marion-brown-quintet-paris-1968.jpg
marionbrowntempsfou2.jpg

Marion Brown's rarest record and one of his finest is a soundtrack for Marcel Camus' film "Le Temps Fou" ("Crazy Time" or "Crazy Weather"). The music heard on this record is mostly free improvised Jazz, but on one track, "Boat Rock", Brown unleashes a Free Funk monster that should have made him a rich man were we living in a just world, except we're not. Can't get enough of this music and the gorgeous cover, which is as psychedelic as a Jazz cover probably gets, but in my list of favourite Marion Brown albums, his debut still ranks on first place. This has recently been reissued by "Le Très Jazz Club" from France with original artwork (even used a flipback construction as found on the original pressing) and from what I read it also sounds good.

Impressive original to own.

Count Basie At Newport (Verve, 1957)

220px-At_Newport_The_Count.jpg

There's no better record to show why so many musicians were so confused at being labeled as "jazz artists". You could call this, jazz, swing, R&B, big band or blues and you'd be 20% correct each time. It makes no sense for a record like this to be marketed to a jazz audience and not a rowdy blues crowd. It could easily satisfy either, because it is all of those things.

17 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

51yN8qOqkFL.jpg

Yeah!! I just finished with that one. 

THE JOE MCPHEE QUARTET | UNDERGROUND RAILROAD | CJR | 1969 | US FIRST STEREO PRESSING CJR_1 LP

[IMG] 
[IMG] 
[IMG] 

"Underground Railroad", Joe McPhee's debut as a leader, has nowhere near the cult following its successor from 1971 "Nation Time" (though just as rare with only 500 copies pressed at the time) could gather over the last fifty years. I'm not a music or jazz historian, but I guess the reason is simple: "Underground Railroad" isn't funky, it doesn't add soul elements to the mix nor are there any vocals. It is a late 60's Free Jazz record in the tradition of those first privately pressed Loft Jazz recordings, especially Clifford Thorntons "Freedom And Unity" coming to mind (on which McPhee had an apperance on one track, by the way), sounding pretty dry and more focused on building up tension than creating a certain sound. Speaking of sound, this record is a bit distant (but still very visceral) sounding, but by design, since it was recorded in a monastery (though not before an audience, as far as I know).

Standout track is "Harriet", which sounds as if the Quartet was taking a break from the heavy percussive 23 minute opener occupying the entire A-side. Almost meditative and with really great solos, love the vibes and don't miss the drums at all (both of which is rare).

This album has been reissued both on LP and CD, the latter including a ton of bonus material (a previously unreleased concert before at the same location), all spread over two CDs.

Edited by cds23

1 hour ago, cds23 said:
THE JOE MCPHEE QUARTET | UNDERGROUND RAILROAD | CJR | 1969 | US FIRST STEREO PRESSING CJR_1 LP

[IMG] 
[IMG] 
[IMG] 

"Underground Railroad", Joe McPhee's debut as a leader, has nowhere near the cult following its successor from 1971 "Nation Time" (though just as rare with only 500 copies pressed at the time) could gather over the last fifty years. I'm not a music or jazz historian, but I guess the reason is simple: "Underground Railroad" isn't funky, it doesn't add soul elements to the mix nor are there any vocals. It is a late 60's Free Jazz record in the tradition of those first privately pressed Loft Jazz recordings, especially Clifford Thorntons "Freedom And Unity" coming to mind (on which McPhee had an apperance on one track, by the way), sounding pretty dry and more focused on building up tension than creating a certain sound. Speaking of sound, this record is a bit distant (but still very visceral) sounding, but by design, since it was recorded in a monastery (though not before an audience, as far as I know).

Standout track is "Harriet", which sounds as if the Quartet was taking a break from the heavy percussive 23 minute opener occupying the entire A-side. Almost meditative and with really great solos, love the vibes and don't miss the drums at all (both of which is rare).

This album has been reissued both on LP and CD, the latter including a ton of bonus material (a previously unreleased concert before at the same location), all spread over two CDs.

I'd actually not heard of this until today