• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Breakfast in South Africa with

Spokes Mashiyane - Sweet sax sweet flute - Quality 1962

R-8564683-1464132752-4904.jpeg.jpg

Reggie Msomi, Spokes Mashiyane & Lemmy Special Mabaso - Top hits of the big three - New Sound 1962

R-8910883-1471291431-5071.jpeg.jpg

Reggie Msomi - Soweto groovin' - Soul Jazz Pop 1976

R-7250031-1437156602-7840.jpeg.jpg

Next

Amagugu - Ubhek'uZulu - Skyline 1974

Ubhek'uZulu (LP) album cover

MG

10 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Al Haig - Solo Piano - Plays Dizzy Gillespie

Duke Jorda - Solo Piano - Plays Tadd Dameron

John Lewis - Solo Piano - Plays John Lewis

Sadik Hakim Trio - Plays Charlie Parker

41NXpdXn3zL._AC_UY218_.jpg

This must be interesting. I think french pianist Henry Renaud had something to do with gathering the remained bop pianists in the late 70´s. 

Al Haig playing Dizzy must be very interesting. I have a special impression about Al Haig. When he started with Diz, he still sounded very stiff, I mean it sounded more like exercises and didn´t really flow like let´s say Bud or Hank Jones, but later.......oh Boy what a wonderful pianist. I 1949, playing let´s say with Wardell Gray he had it all, and some of the most beautiful ballads I ever heard. 

Al Haig in 1977 with Dexter in France.....the thing I like most on it is Al Haig´s trio version of "Round Midnight". I heard rumours that Haig  was a bit "plem plem" (like German speaking people say for someone a bit crazy), but he really had become a great , a very great pianist. But I always must laugh when I hear that early 1945 Diz and Bird at Town Hall, since the piano sounds the way I sounded when I fell in love with Bop , and as a pianist with Bud, and started to play all the bop tunes, but the solos sounded that way and when I listened back to it on tape I realized that something is wrong about it....

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-4444078-1365036122-3155.jpeg.jpg

Bernard Purdie is a fine drummer of the 70´s. Do you know the Dizzy Gillespie album as a trio of Diz, Toots Thielemans and Bernard Purdie ? 

By the way, maybe I wasn´t up to date then, but in the mid seventies when I started serously to listen to jazz, the Prestige Label for me was the label of the great stars of the 50´s. I might say I got to jazz through Prestige (Miles Davis Quintets). 

I eventually heard that Prestige went on much longer but changed the musical direction....