Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Mark Weinstein - Latin Jazz Underground (Zoho, 2014)

F932F08B-C8E2-43DD-A537-6AE375E175A7.png

I’m extremely impressed by this one. Flutes + piano trio (led by Aruan Ortiz, with Gerald Cleaver on drums) plus percussionist playing music with links to Andrew Hill.

Does anyone know anything about Ortiz or Weinstein? They’re new names to me.

Mark Weinstein has deep roots in Latin Jazz and salsa.  Initially a trombonist, he played in Eddie Palmieri's first band La Perfecta with its trombone-heavy front line, along with Barry Rogers.  He also played with Tito Puente and Cal Tjader.  His album Cuban Roots (1967) is considered a milestone in Afro-Latin Jazz.   Now Weinstein focuses on various flutes rather than trombone.  See Weinstein's bio on his website here.

I have six or seven Weinstein releases.  Latin Jazz Underground is my favorite, but all of them are interesting.

36 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

struggling to find this online, is it? Some of it appears on an 80s compilation confusingly of the same name

UK Camden (as well as another company, Kaz) have reissued Ibrahim's South African recordings.  But -- as you've seen -- they're (mostly) jumbled up compilation style, rather than reproductions of the original releases.

Unfortunately, in my experience, finding Ibrahim's original South African LPs is very difficult and very pricey. 

So I've just been picking up the compilations.  It's less than ideal but better than never hearing the music at all. 

Edited by HutchFan
added details re: labels

23 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

struggling to find this online, is it? Some of it appears on an 80s compilation confusingly of the same name

That's right. Tricky to find online, like a lot of his stuff. I think the tracks from that comp that are streamable on YT are also taken the original South African release. 

20 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Love a bit of Azymuth.

Who doesn't? Surely

44 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

That's right. Tricky to find online, like a lot of his stuff. I think the tracks from that comp that are streamable on YT are also taken the original South African release. 

57 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

UK Camden (as well as another company, Kaz) have reissued Ibrahim's South African recordings.  But -- as you've seen -- they're (mostly) jumbled up compilation style, rather than reproductions of the original releases.

Unfortunately, in my experience, finding Ibrahim's original South African LPs is very difficult and very pricey. 

So I've just been picking up the compilations.  It's less than ideal but better than never hearing the music at all. 

Thanks gents, streaming it is from those comps then

Next:

81sv+8xSU3L._SS600_.jpg

Weather Report - The Legendary Live Tapes: 1978-1981 (Sony Legacy)
Disc 1

For my money, the best music in this set is heard on discs 1 & 3, recordings from 1980-81.  You could make a strong argument that this particular band was, with the benefit of hindsight, the most compelling Weather Report line-up.  (They were a quintet at the time; the four men pictured above, plus percussionist Bobby Thomas, Jr.)  Formerly, I had a definite preference for the Live in Tokyo group, but these '80/'81 recordings -- as well as more close listens to Night Passage -- changed my perspective.  Hearing these tapes, you can tell they've played together for a long time ... and they've found their second wind.  Terrific.

2 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Next:

81sv+8xSU3L._SS600_.jpg

Weather Report - The Legendary Live Tapes: 1978-1981 (Sony Legacy)
Disc 1

For my money, the best music in this set is heard on discs 1 & 3, recordings from 1980-81.  You could make a strong argument that this particular band was, with the benefit of hindsight, the most compelling Weather Report line-up.  (They were a quintet at the time; the four men pictured above, plus percussionist Bobby Thomas, Jr.)  Formerly, I had a definite preference for the Live in Tokyo group, but these '80/'81 recordings -- as well as more close listens to Night Passage -- changed my perspective.  Hearing these tapes, you can tell they've played together for a long time ... and they've found their second wind.  Terrific.

If you've not done so already, the recent WR "biography" (can a band have a biography?) is a very worthy read. Not a lot of "musical insight" but a LOT of personal/personality/personnel info that ends up being a really cohesive and compelling tale.

That was one hell of a band, no matter the iteration. I saw them live eight times (I think, starting to forget things like this, but it was more than I've seen anybody, ever). Starting with the Mysterious Traveler tour on out through the end. Not one halfass show, no superfluous playing (other than one of Jaco's set-piece solothings, but even then, oh well!). They were "of their time", and/but it was my time, and I think it will be for "all time" as much as anything can be. Just too much substance there for it not not to be. Manahihihoohoo, Return From Forever, all that stuff, limited shelf life just as often as not, a flare or two and then gone. Not so Weather Report.

Those were very, very serious people. Serious about the music, serious about the presentation, don't let the "entertainment" trappings fool you. They always came to play, and if the macho/competitive element seems a bit out date now, so be it. It's only so because stuff like this did it all it could be done, like, now you know, move on.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

If you've not done so already, the recent WR "biography" (can a band have a biography?) is a very worthy read. Not a lot of "musical insight" but a LOT of personal/personality/personnel info that ends up being a really cohesive and compelling tale.

I need to get that book!  Thanks for the reminder.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

That was one hell of a band, no matter the iteration. I saw them live eight times (I think, starting to forget things like this, but it was more than I've seen anybody, ever). Starting with the Mysterious Traveler tour on out through the end. Not one halfass show, no superfluous playing (other than one of Jaco's set-piece solothings, but even then, oh well!). They were "of their time", and/but it was my time, and I think it will be for "all time" as much as anything can be. Just too much substance there for it not not to be. Manahihihoohoo, Return From Forever, all that stuff, limited shelf life just as often as not, a flare or two and then gone. Not so Weather Report.

Those were very, very serious people. Serious about the music, serious about the presentation, don't let the "entertainment" trappings fool you. They always came to play, and if the macho/competitive element seems a bit out date now, so be it. It's only so because stuff like this did it all it could be done, like, now you know, move on.

I'm jealous that you got to see them so many times.  I wish I could see them ONCE.  

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

Thanks for posting this. I only knew of the Wergo CDs (later recording date), must have been asleep when this was released.

It is available from the source for $35 at https://www.otherminds.org/recording/conlon-nancarrow-studies-player-piano/

Edited by Chuck Nessa
typo