• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, HutchFan said:

5146zhnK4IL.jpg

and

51a1DoB5ahL.jpg

Putting all (admittedly considerable) extra-musical baggage aside, I think Wynton made some really good albums -- like J Mood -- at the beginning. 

Agreed—I’ve been revisiting and reassessing the albums that led up to The Majesty Of The Blues, which seems to me like a turning point, where he goes all-in on Crouch revivalism. Black Codes is generally cited as the standout from his 80s period, but I’d put J Mood right up there with it. 

On 21.10.2021 at 4:48 AM, HutchFan said:

5146zhnK4IL.jpg

and

51a1DoB5ahL.jpg

Putting all (admittedly considerable) extra-musical baggage aside, I think Wynton made some really good albums -- like J Mood -- at the beginning.

Excellent!  :tup 

The Bennie Wallace album must have been around 1980. It was very much discussed here in Vienna, it´s top musicians, and it was spinned very often in that fancy old jazzclub "Spelunke" which we had. When there was not live music (anyway, you could play live only from 19.00 - 22.00 because it was an old building and other families had their appartments there), they spinned all those fine records, and we the regulars sittin at the bar discussed the music , just wonderful. 

• Horace Silver "Silver 'n Voices" Blue Note Japan 2021 cd

R-1425671-1299271524.jpeg.jpg

Bass – Ron Carter
    Art Direction – Ria Lewerke
    Drums – Al Foster
    Photography By – Gary Regester
    Producer – George Butler
    Tenor Saxophone, Soloist – Bob Berg
    Trumpet, Flugelhorn, Soloist – Tom Harrell
    Voice – Avery Sommers, Dale Verdugo, Joyce Copeland, Monica Mancini, Richard Page
    Written-By, Arranged By, Lyrics By, Sleeve Notes, Piano, Soloist – Horace Silver

Recorded September 24 and October 1, 1976, at A&R Recording Studio, New York (engineer: Don Hahn). Sweetening on October 19 and 22, 1976, at Hollywood Sound Recorders, Los Angeles (engineer: Ed Barton). Remixed at A&R Recording Studio, New York (engineer: Don Hahn).

Edited by jazzbo

R-1884237-1483073519-5350.jpeg.jpg

R-1884237-1303594877.jpeg.jpg

(almost) Universally reviled, and I get that, but...the energy that this band puts into these charts (only one by Ellis!) is quite real...although what the quality of that energy is...not sure about that. But geez this is one big ball of burning odd-meter fuquitousness, aimed at....something. A lot of energy, and produced by Teo Macero. If the aim was to get radio play, I'm reminded of the first time I heard the Ronettes record of "I Wish I Never Saw The Sunshine":, it was like, GOOD GOD, that is so NOT going to get on the radio, it will scare people in the kind of way that people don't like to get sacred.

13 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Black Codes is generally cited as the standout from his 80s period, but I’d put J Mood right up there with it. 

Experiencing them all in real time I was relatively enthusiastic about the former, retro tho it was. but when J Moods came out I was like, is this all this guy is going to do, play these emotionally detached attempts at signifying some sort of "attitude" instead of showing some real voice? And then...no he was going do more, but it was certainly less...

Horace Silver "Silver 'n Wood" Blue Note Japan cd 2021

R-2718038-1465983600-9242.jpeg.jpg

Bass – Ron Carter
Alto Saxophone – Lanny Morgan
Baritone Saxophone – Jack Nimitz
Bass Saxophone – Bill Green
Composed By, Arranged By – Horace Silver
Drums – Al Foster
Flute – Jack Nimitz, Bill Green,Buddy Collette, Fred Jackson
Piano – Horace Silver
Producer – George Butler
Soprano Saxophone – Jerome Richardson