• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today is the first day I really get to sit down and listen to my main system via speakers in five weeks, and also the first time I get to listen to my new transport via the speakers. 

Great sounds and a general relaxing are occurring.

I started off with Yana Purim, "Harvest Time." I love her older sister Flora Purim and there is definitely a family resemblance in the sound of her voice and phrasing. But. . . her English singing is not that great. Her Portuguese is better. . . but Flora is rightfully the one who became an international "name."

004a2240.jpg

So I needed to listen to Flora Purim after this and decided to spin the LP of "Stories to Tell". . . ah, an old favorite since it was first released lo these many years ago.

R-14315611-1572080668-1173.jpeg.jpg

Then as the Rega was spinning I listened to record 1 of Miles Davis "Big Fun" 2 LP set. Music that is in my mental musical DNA. And sounding very very good today.

748407.jpg 

Then I thought I would retry a recent release that I think has great music but not so great sound, Joe Chambers "Samba de Maracatu"

Joe.jpg

The sound is a bit better with my new transport and settings but. . . 

And right now I am spinning disc 7 of Lee Morgan "Complete Live at the Lighthouse" cd set. One of my favorite releases of the year.

P0602508839351_1.jpg

On 12/11/2021 at 10:11 AM, Rabshakeh said:

Are there others of hers that you recommend?

I really enjoyed it.

I remember listening to multiple live versions on YT or other platforms at the time the album was released, more a hit than a standard. The few recent covers that I found from Discogs do not capture the vibrant energy of the initail tune at all.

16 hours ago, soulpope said:

ab67616d0000b2730ad31cfd517649f991699b86

Gooood!