Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I've had many copies of Miles Davis "Nefertiti" in various formats but this Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab SACD sounds the very best.

This LP cover always confuses me as it seems to me this one should be for "Sorcerer" and that one should be for "Nefertiti!" It always jars me a bit too that Herbie Hancock is in the right channel.

Love this music!

miles-davis-nefertiti-2lp-180g-vinyl-mfs

Sometimes, in the LP era there were pics of album covers inside the cover of the LPs, sometimes even in chronological order, and since I was already a Miles Davis fan when I was a kid, I saw this too. I didn´t know what "Nefertiti" should mean, anyway it´s written in a way I missread it and thought it reads "Neferetti" which sounded to me like an Italian name. So I thought this is maybe an Italian Film composer and it could be a collaboration between an Italian composer and Miles Davis. Like Miles-Michel Legrand in the 50´s and again after 40 years in "Dingo"...

18 hours ago, BillF said:

Well, I know there's been a controversial discussion about Higgins here recently, but I'd have been happier with another drummer. I don't think his insistent accenting suits the mainly simple lines of Dexter. Unlike you, I found Harewood's drumming just right on Doin' Allright. Next I'll be listening to Dexter Calling to see how I feel about Philly in this context.

Yes it may be a question of different tastes. 

Billy Higgins is one of my favourite drummers. I like the "insistent accenting" very much, I like it if a drummer really lifts the stage and pushes the musicians. Others like the drummer more as a suportive role, like Harewood maybe was. 
Harewood was much used by BN in the early 60s for more swing routine recordings. Let´s say I have very much chronological BN stuff, but less from the more mainstream of "Three Sounds"  "Ike Quebec" or "Stanley Turrentine" . In that context I think it was the same way with Dexter when he started at BN. He was from the batch of older, then nearly forgotten players after long time of prison, not even having a carbaret card. My personal afection to BN is much more what became new and more demanding, the series of Freddie Hubbard records, Wayne Shorter, Joe Henderson, Sam Rivers , Herbie Hancock, McCoy, with drummers more like Billy Higgins, Elvin Jones of course..... 

Dexter was better off during his comeback in the late 70´s. That´s when CBS really did interesting projects with him like "Sophisticated Giant" and above all "Manhattan Symphony" and listen to the drummers he used THEN. Eddy Gladden, that´s really powerful and it really pushes the proceedings to a highly emotional manner. Those were good years, but I think the increasing drinking problem of Dexter stopped CBS for further projects. Even the last CBS "Gotham City" is more or less a gathering of all stars like Blakey, Percy Heath, Woody Shaw...., and very very short......

38 minutes ago, BillF said:

To continue our conversation ...

Now playing:

81QcqPnvkML._SS500_.jpg

PJJ is just right here. In fact it's a perfectly functioning rhythm section of Kenny, PC and PJJ and just right for Dexter. A pleasure to listen to! :)

(All IMHO, of course!) ;)

Well I might give it another try, but that will take some time, because now I´m busy listening the CDs my wife bought for my Birthday and then maybe others might follow tomorrow. 
Until now from the Birthday Batch I listened to Coltrane´s "Love Supreme Live Seattle 1965, "Coltrane meets Ellingon" and "Return to the Mothership" (all really great). 

With Dexter, I was a big big fan of him for many many years, starting from the Savoy´s in the 40´s on. But somehow I got tired of a lot of his stuff, with the exception of "Manhattan Symphony" which is one of the best acoustic albums of post-electric "acoustic revival".....

Philly J.J. was one of my favourite drummers from the beginning on. He is on my first "jazz album" (Steamin´) and his solo on Salt Peanuts........

Max Roach, Philly, Roy Haynes, Elvin, Tony an so on, I love drummers and a great part of my liking music or not is in context with what the drummer does.

16 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Max Roach, Philly, Roy Haynes, Elvin, Tony an so on, I love drummers and a great part of my liking music or not is in context with what the drummer does.

My guess ts that, like me, you saw many of the drum giants in person, Gheorghe.

On my list are Cozy Cole, Louie Bellson, Mel Lewis, Kenny Clarke, Max, Art, Philly.

Notable omissions are Buddy Rich, Elvin and Tony Williams.

Edited by BillF

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Yeah, I’m working my way through it for the first time in a while. Slowly, as CD1 has been on repeat play :D. CD sound is very good indeed.

22 hours ago, sidewinder said:

R-4848864-1485602871-7838.jpeg.jpg

CD1

:D:tup  Like that box very much

Shorty Rogers is one of my very favorite West Coast artists. Have most of his stuff under his name on big band and beside the box also the vinyls before the box was offered. Know him from the Kenton  and Woody Herman band and also from Pete Rugulo and his membership with the Howard Rumsey groups.

42681506df.jpg

1 minute ago, jazzcorner said:

:D:tup  Like that box very much

Shorty Rogers is one of my very favorite West Coast artists. Have most of his stuff under his name on big band and beside the box also the vinyls before the box was offered. Know him from the Kenton  and Woody Herman band and also from Pete Rugulo and his membership with the Howard Rumsey groups.

42681506df.jpg

I strongly share your enthusiasm for Shorty's music.

I don't think he came to Europe much, so I was lucky to see him when he came out of retirement in the 1980s to lead a British National Youth Jazz Orchestra tour.

17 minutes ago, BillF said:

I don't think he came to Europe much, so I was lucky to see him when he came out of retirement in the 1980s to lead a British National Youth Jazz Orchestra tour.

Well what you may  dont know Bill was the temporary leader  in the 1980ies for the WDR big band almost ever together with Mel Lewis. This could happen because the WDR big band had at that time no steady drummer and no leader after Jerry Van Royen  went to pension.

I have more than 100 reels and cassettes from these radio broadcasts. Bill used to play many of his compositions first here in Germany with the WDR big band and exploring his greater compositions in studio concerts and finally in a public performance.

He worked also with the HR big band from Frankfurt  (Concerte De Aranjuez)  and the NDR big band from Hamburg.

Beside Shorty he is the other great fav. of mine. Its a pity the even today not a discocraphy of his works is available. One of the  most important giants in Jazz is all I can say

Here is a selection from my private recordings

42681619oa.jpg

42681621ai.jpg

42681622uh.jpg

42681661mh.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner

1 hour ago, BillF said:

I share your enthusiasm for Shorty Roger's music. His albums on Atlantic and RCA are things I greatly enjoy. Yet, I never thought much of his trumpet playing. It was his compositions, arrangements and his terrific sidemen that made those albums so interesting to me.

4 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

It was his compositions, arrangements and his terrific sidemen that made those albums so interesting to me.

Yes he was not the greatest trumpetplayer but the above said hits the nail on the top. Great also his "Three little Bops" & the Boots Brown tracks. I have the Impression he took his jazz career not too seriously

Miles Davis "Big Fun" 2 LP set, "Ife"

748407.jpg

Whenever I want to see what condition my condition is in I play a side from these lps.

11 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Miles Davis "Big Fun" 2 LP set, "Ife"

748407.jpg

Whenever I want to see what condition my condition is in I play a side from these lps.

My condition warranted moving on to "Lonely Fire" on LP 2.

Gheorghe has said that he prefers the Columbia sessions by Dexter Gordon. In my view his series on Blue Note are his best recorded work. I like Dexter's recordings on Bethlehem, Steeplechase, some of the other labels, and Columbia, but the albums on Blue Note are the ones I prefer. 

Different strokes...

51ORdypBDZL._AC_UY218_.jpg