Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

s-l1000.jpg

I decided I have to like this cd because my wife plays it over and over starting at Thanksgiving on the Bose CD player I got her because she refuses to learn how to operate the living room stereo.

I put this on and two minutes later my dachshund Fiona is out like a light. It's actually not bad, the piano and harp and guitar are recorded well, and the playing is very understated and melodic.

Edited by jazzbo

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

51%2BiAIrdT4L.jpg

Jimmy Rushing "Rushing Lullabys" Columbia cd

Also contains his album "Little Jimmy and the Big Brass" which is presented first on the cd.

R-4828769-1376778076-5605.jpeg.jpg

Love Mr. Five by Five and these are two of his best.

I was lucky to see Mr Five by Five when he toured in the UK with Humphrey Lyttelton's band in 1958.

Apparently, the band were worried that the great man wouldn't find them up to scratch, although they were at this time very KC oriented. So they played something and Jimmy said, "It's the real home cookin', you know?" :D

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I remember the exitement we all, who had purchase Agartha when it came out, had then some insiders told us about Pangaea. It was on Sony CBS Japan, like "Dark Magus" and just great. 

Agharta was the first jazz album to really make an impact on me, and also the first album I ever really listened to on vinyl. A random discovery in a school library audio visual department. The next day I came back and tried out Heliocentric Worlds Vol 2 on a whim. Through the years most of my old favourites have often receded, but I still feel excited just thinking of those two. Pangaea has always been in Agharta's shade though for me, so this was a fairly rare listen.

I'm glad to hear that you liked them at the time. I had always understood them to be... contraversial. 

8 hours ago, HutchFan said:

This again:

R-11689347-1520700816-2694.jpeg.jpg

Excellent Brazilian jazz from Milton Nascimento's long-time drummer.

You've been playing this a lot recently. Looks worth a go.

Just now, jlhoots said:

Ordered.

At some point...a consideration should be made of Chicagoans Andrew Hill and Sun Ra having meaningful musical interactions along the way. Not as a question of one "influencing" the other, but more as two kindred spirits finding much to discuss and exchange, both compositionally and pianistically.