• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-11864738-1523721527-6234.jpeg.jpg

Was this the Afro-Cuban that also produced Machito Orchestra with soloists like Howard McGhee, Brew Moore, Mario Bauza in a kind of "friendly battle" with McGhee, and other tracks without the "jazz" soloists that have vocals with that female singer "Graciela" . I don´t spin it very often, but sometimes I´m really in the mood for it. It´s that old style record where singers sound like that very old postwar-radios. I think 1949....

11 hours ago, soulpope said:

R-15212986-1588182282-9335-jpeg.jpg

I don´t know exactly what´s on Vol. 1 and on Vol. 2, but I love it and it´s some of the best Monk Piano, especially the stride pieces. To play such a difficult tune like "Trinkle Tinkle" with stride in the left...... I failed to do it, and I heard really good musicians having troubles with the changes. 
This must have been during the "Giants of Jazz" Tour, I have the double CD too. 
I´m still mad I was maybe one or two years too young to see Monk live. 
They were at Vienna Konzerthaus in 1972 and I was only 13. Two friends of mine, who were born 4 years earlier (1955) saw the concert. The only disappointment was that Dizzy was not on stage, he was replaced by Cat Anderson and Clark Terry, which is also fine, but the lineup  Diz-Winding-Stitt was the classic one. 
Someone had told me that Dizzy had missed the concert because he missed the plane from Budapesta, where they had performed the night before....

Anyway, my friends who also were just starters of jazz in 1972 at that age were "disappointed" with Monk. They didn´t understand Monk´s unique piano stile and found it too "spare". Later they laughed and said "we thought a jazz pianist is someone who bangs into all the keys and plays much much much and has that big grin" (maybe the only "jazz" pianist they had knewn then was the omnipresent Oscar Peterson). 

So, due to age I missed the unique occasion to hear and see Monk live.