• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Honestly I've never heard the "Jazz at the Pawnshop" discs before, though I've heard music from the jazz musicians involved. It just seems that they were lauded for their sound alone, and they are likely the only jazz discs some audiophiles own. Thought I would get around to them one day.

Well a month or so ago I noticed there were now three SACDs and a DVD in a very inexpensive box set so I ordered one and it arrived today. Listening to disc 1 and it sounds quite nice indeed.

jazz-at-the-pawnshop-30th-anniversary-54

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Honestly I've never heard the "Jazz at the Pawnshop" discs before, though I've heard music from the jazz musicians involved. It just seems that they were lauded for their sound alone, and they are likely the only jazz discs some audiophiles own. Thought I would get around to them one day.

Well a month or so ago I noticed there were now three SACDs and a DVD in a very inexpensive box set so I ordered one and it arrived today. Listening to disc 1 and it sounds quite nice indeed.

jazz-at-the-pawnshop-30th-anniversary-54

Interesting impressions. I was in a somewhat similar situation. Having been a fan of Swedish jazz from the "classic" period (i.e. Swedish Cool from the 50s, as far as modern jazz goes, and then some ... a bit, really ... ;)) for a long, long time I came across references to and enthusiastic reviews of the Jazz Pa Stampen (Jazz At The Pawnshop) releases. It wasn't until during the past 1-2 years that I came across the Vol. 1 and 2 CDs (on the Proprius label) at prices you can't refuse (nor go wrong at) at local secondhand record clearout sales that I took the plunge. Like you say, quite nice indeed but I find them not nearly as adventurous (particularly Vol. 1) or earth-shattering as some enthusing reviews made them out to be. Not that I would have minded - I am quite happy with the Bengt Hallberg/Ove Lind (etc.) recordings from roughly the same period too.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

The amazing SACD disc one.

UDSACD2149-2.jpg

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Interesting impressions. I was in a somewhat similar situation. Having been a fan of Swedish jazz from the "classic" period (i.e. Swedish Cool from the 50s, as far as modern jazz goes, and then some ... a bit, really ... ;)) for a long, long time I came across references to and enthusiastic reviews of the Jazz Pa Stampen (Jazz At The Pawnshop) releases. It wasn't until during the past 1-2 years that I came across the Vol. 1 and 2 CDs (on the Proprius label) at prices you can't refuse (nor go wrong at) at local secondhand record clearout sales that I took the plunge. Like you say, quite nice indeed but I find them not nearly as adventurous (particularly Vol. 1) or earth-shattering as some enthusing reviews made them out to be. Not that I would have minded - I am quite happy with the Bengt Hallberg/Ove Lind (etc.) recordings from roughly the same period too.

I wasn't expecting anything too adventurous, certainly not earth-shattering. But it's good music, nice listening. I'm also a fan of Swedish jazz of this vintage, these tracks fit in well with others I have.

10 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

The best of all the Katrina relief albums. Carol Fran singing a funky blues in Creole French just kills me.

Yes it is a good album,  Even though there are a variety of performers playing different styles of music, it doesn't feel like some musical patchwork quilt.  Every track is pretty solid.

Now playing

MI0000162652.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

MI0000162653.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Edited by duaneiac