So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

24 minutes ago, JSngry said:

That's a really good record.

I’m onto the second volume now. It’s so lyrical. I wish half the solo piano trio records had this quality to them.

I think it gets lost in the shuffle between the early piano trio records and then the more famous RTF stuff. I rarely remember that they exist. 

18 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

R-1528911-1226290577.jpeg.jpg

Too ‘pretty’? Or more jazz heat?

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-2657034-1464303710-6657.jpeg.jpg

R-2657034-1464303726-7074.jpeg.jpg

The new material is definitely value added, more things from the Choreographers Workshop period, lots of percussion-based stuff, which always turns out well with this group. They started getting into that in the later Chicago days and continued to develop it after the move to NYC.

23 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

In general, I have a lot of BN unspinned, and certain albums I listen to on repeated occasions...

I stick with the absolute classics because other albums are more of the same in a less way (buy them on cd sometimes). Orginality isn't one of the strongest characteristics of jazz-music (some exceptions).

Edited by Referentzhunter

17 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

Yesterday evening relaxation

93808.jpg

This together with "We Get Requests" are the only Peterson albums I listen to sometimes, they are really nice and if I´m exhausted and don´t want to "figure out" much things, just close my eyes and relax, it´s okay. Oh , and I have also "In Tune" with the Singers Unlimited with Peterson, it was somehow en vogue when I was a boy....

"Sunflower" got me in a CTI mood and so I'm now on the second disc ("Chicago Theme") in this 2 cd Hubert Laws set, "Morning Star / Carnegie Hall / Chicago Theme" on Beat Goes On. 

A mixed bag overall but the arrangements on the first two albums and the innovative flute effects technology especially on the first album remain very interesting. 

017.jpg

The mastering on these Beat Goes On CTI recordings is "meaty" and I wanted to hear how they are reproduced by my new DAC, which is a heavily modded (new transformers, EMF absorption material, and and analog board/Farad external linear power supply mod) example of the PS Audio DirectStream DAC that I have been using for years.

Edited by jazzbo