• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ZWc.jpeg

ZWc.jpeg

Given to me for Christmas, the Plano library had an all-you-can-eat-for-$10.00 sale and my sone's family went all-in and got me a buttload of classical stuff, this one included.

I was not expecting the energy and vibrancy in these performances. A VERY enjoyable surprise!

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Sounds intriguing and fun. I never listened to Snarky P.  I see it's streamable so that's me sorted

Snarky Puppy is a bit more cinematic and "modern" in style. I think I enjoyed Culcha Vulcha the most. This record is a lot more commercial and basic than Snarky Puppy though, I think in a good way.

cGVn.jpegZWc.jpeg

Mixed emotions about these for me (as with Grossman in general, not just these records, he was apparently a "complicated guy") but of two things I am certain - It's hard not to like this record if you don't think about it past the immediate moment; and - for all those whiners who would love nothing more than to have Sonny Rollins playing in 1984 like he did in 1957, here's your records, thank you, now stop bitching about it. :g

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Mixed emotions about these for me (as with Grossman in general, not just these records, he was apparently a "complicated guy") but of two things I am certain - It's hard not to like this record if you don't think about it past the immediate moment; and - for all those whiners who would love nothing more than to have Sonny Rollins playing in 1984 like he did in 1957, here's your records, thank you, now stop bitching about it. :g

In his autobiography, Dave Liebman talks about how surprised he was when he heard Steve Grossman in the 1980s after not having seen him for a long time.  Lieb was totally surprised by Grossman's sound, how Rollins-esque it was. ... Of course, it was very different than the sound Grossman had when he and Liebman were in Elvin's band.  So it was a shock.  I didn't sense that Lieb was judging Grossman exactly.  But it threw him for a loop. 

22 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

In his autobiography, Dave Liebman talks about how surprised he was when he heard Steve Grossman in the 1980s after not having seen him for a long time.  Lieb was totally surprised by Grossman's sound, how Rollins-esque it was. ... Of course, it was very different than the sound Grossman had when he and Liebman were in Elvin's band.  So it was a shock.  I didn't sense that Lieb was judging Grossman exactly.  But it threw him for a loop. 

What Liebman told about Grossman was that Grossman had mastered Bird by the time he was, like 15 or 16, and then got busy doing the same thing with Trane and had that down by the time he was 18. Grossman got the Miles gig first, remember, so he must have had some kind of buzz about his very early on.

Somewhere Grossman was asked about his influence on all the young tenor players (or a certain ilk) and he replied that all he was doing was playing Trane slowed down into 8th notes instead of 16th notes. I took him at his word and respect his honesty.

A really complicated person with demons of the All Time type, if even half the stories are true. That kind of a tortured soul background adds a bit of poignancy that many of the other CloneTranes don't have for me.

Have you heard the Live at Brown's private tapes? He's in a zone there, and a zone is a zone, even if it's a little "derivative". You can't fake a zone, and he was in one there, and almost here as well.

9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Have you heard the Live at Brown's private tapes? He's in a zone there, and a zone is a zone, even if it's a little "derivative". You can't fake a zone, and he was in one there, and almost here as well.

I haven't.  When were those recordings made?

Edited by HutchFan