• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was listening to the Fresh Sound incarnation (top cover), which combines  Jack Montrose's "Blues and Vanilla" and another Montrose album "The Horn is Full," but the original cover (second one) probably needs to be seen. Montrose to my mind is one of the more peculiar players and writers of that time and place ('50s/West Coast). The combo of a kind of (pseudo? -- it might be unfair to say that) folksiness and a lot of busy counterpoint perhaps  anticipates Giuffre of a bit later on, but Giuffre was never as corny/obsessive as the almost endlessly worked over material of the 18-minute title track of"Blues and Vanilla" is. In fact, Montrose, originally from Detroit IIRC, isn't that much like any other West Coast figure, with the exception of (in some moods) Giuffre. He is, however, not unlike in that folksy strain composer-pianist Bobby Scott, while John Murtaugh,  the tenorman on Scott's interesting ABC-Paramount album "Bobby Scott and Two Horns,"  is akin to Montrose in his "talky" style of accentuation. I prefer Murtaugh and Scott and wish there more of Murtaugh on record so I could get a better fix on him. That Scott album, plus other Scott material, is on "The Compositions of Bobby Scott" (Fresh Sound). I should add that that Montrose and Bob Gordon make a good team on the last album below; the excellent Gordon and Montrose were good friends, and Gordon seems to led Montrose to dial down the folksiness.

71fBBbRi1nL._SY355_.jpg

51nZXsohXZL._AC_US218_.jpg

51Ahe-hjIiL._AC_US218_.jpg

41CQLduzJlL._AC_US218_.jpg

Here's "Blues and Vanilla" A.K.A."Concertino da Camera." Warning -- danger of ear-worm infestation.
BTW, Jim, if you look closely at the cover image, Norvo has his own  ice cream cone; he's not poaching on Montrose's. Also BTW, I wonder if this a different take of the piece; it sounds (if you can believe it) a bit more varied than the one on my copy of the album. On the other hand it might be worth what's left of my sanity to listen again to both and compare.

P.S. Well I did listen again enough to figure out that's the same performance -- a bit less nagging than I recalled, but ...

"This is the full performance of Dancing In The Street on the 'Your All American College Show' by the Carpenters in 1968. 

Hear Richard confirming that no, it is not an organ 'It's an electric piano'... and check out that awesome drum work by 18 year old Karen... 

And if that isn't enough for ya... you get to see the trio (yes, the Dick Carpenter Trio, to be exact) win the top trophy and prize money handed out by none other than Zsa Zsa Gabor, and William Shatner!!

This was the performance that caused Mr. John Wayne to think that Karen would be perfect for the female lead in his upcoming film 'True Grit'. Karen did read for the part but was beaten out by popular Kim Darby for the role."

better quality, but shorter:

Edited by rostasi

R-561343-1188579830.jpeg.jpg  R-374775-1327136190.jpeg.jpg

Late last night: Derek Bailey - Lace (Emanem)

This morning: Dave Brubeck - Jazz: Red Hot and Cool (Columbia)

The Bailey is lovely. I will admit that some of Brubeck's entrances after Desmond's solos made me want to tear my hair out, if I had enough hair to tear out.

The Oliver Nelson Mosaic set. Hesitated for years, finally took the leap a while back, and am glad I did. Not all solid gold and/or to everyone's taste, but the best of it -- in terms of writing and playing  (Nelson himself!) -- is superb. Insightful notes by veteran bari player and former Danny Bank student Kenny Berger (Bank more or less was Nelson's Harry Carney). The tale of Nelson's sudden death at age 43 from almost insanely conscientious overwork (when he went to Hollywood, unlike other composers of that milieu, he personally wrote out every note of his scores, used no orchestrators, copyists, etc.), plus undiagnosed pancreatitis and perhaps a previous undiagnosed bout of malaria that weakened his immune system, is a sad one.

BTW, Grady Tate is quite something on all of the many tracks he graces on this set.

.233-MD-CD.jpg