• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jackie McLean - Hipnosis (Blue Note). The Moncur session. I needle-dropped this to mp3 years ago so I could listen at work on my PC. I hear this and can't help but wonder why it didn't come out when it was recorded. About the only thing I can think is that the cymbal sound is not quite right in spots. Really "phase-y" sounding, even on the Mosaic Select CD.

Jackie McLean Hipnosis US.jpeg

Ni01NDA5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Other than one Malaby solo where he really gets going, this seems a little "set" to me. Then again, this is the type of music I "know" better than any other, having played it more than any other. so maybe it's just that I don't get "surprised" by it as much as other musics (and really, it's not only jazz where "the sound of surprise" matters). But anyway, yeah, nice enough, but one and done for me.

This is a deserted island pick for me. I have the original Atlantic 2 LP set, the American cd release and this 1991 Japanese release. I think I prefer the sound of the US cd release a bit more, but this Japanese includes all the on stage banter and announcements and those are as good as the song performances!

Jimmy "The Lizard/The Silver Gauntlet" Rowles is the musical director here and one reason these live recordings shine. Then there is Joe Pass. . . and Carmen is totally in charge and "on."

NC0xNTgwLmpwZWc.jpeg