• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 07/04/2022 at 8:30 AM, BillF said:

ab67616d0000b273fa3339e91960ceed9445af22

Whatever happened to this laddie? In this 2013 album he was able to hold his own at the age of 23 with the cream of the contemporary scene (his father is the label's owner), but googling him now produces a blank ever since. Perhaps he's one of those who preferred a career in law, say, to being a jazz musician. ;)

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Whatever happened to this laddie? In this 2013 album he was able to hold his own at the age of 23 with the cream of the contemporary scene (his father is the label's owner), but googling him now produces a blank ever since. Perhaps he's one of those who preferred a career in law, say, to being a jazz musician. ;)

It looks like he's a writer for Wired magazine: https://www.c-span.org/video/?513056-5/washington-journal-gilad-edelman-discusses-section-230-communications-decency-act

Yes, certainly the same guy.

Those who give up jazz is an interesting topic. I once attended a short university course on Irish poetry and was intrigued when the lecturer used the term "woodshedding", which I'd only heard in a jazz context. Turned out his first area of study had been, not literature, but jazz bass - at Berklee, none less!

Edited by BillF

On 09/04/2022 at 9:01 AM, sidewinder said:

R-18070132-1617055793-2667.jpeg.jpg

I'm still waiting on delivery of the LP, ordered February last year. I was told recently it would be available in June. I do wonder if JiB is in a bit of trouble, what with this, a seemingly slowing of releases and the establishment of British Progressive Jazz.  No real evidence just a hunch

10 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I'm still waiting on delivery of the LP, ordered February last year. I was told recently it would be available in June. I do wonder if JiB is in a bit of trouble, what with this, a seemingly slowing of releases and the establishment of British Progressive Jazz.  No real evidence just a hunch

I think the HQ has moved up from Farnham to Yorkshire (almost an emigration !) and combined with the pressing plant delays (which seems to have hit most small independents) that would explain the recent delays. I’ve been picking up their CD issues of late and usually follow up with the vinyl when it is available (wallet permitting). Good things come to he who is patient. :)

The one I’m really looking forward to is Viv Ardley’s bio of Neil Ardley.

Major bargain last week with CD of ‘Blue Beginnings’ for £6.50.

Edited by sidewinder

38 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I think the HQ has moved up from Farnham to Yorkshire (almost an emigration !) and combined with the pressing plant delays (which seems to have hit most small independents) that would explain the recent delays. I’ve been picking up their CD issues of late and usually follow up with the vinyl when it is available (wallet permitting). Good things come to he who is patient. :)

The one I’m really looking forward to is Viv Ardley’s bio of Neil Ardley.

Major bargain last week with CD of ‘Blue Beginnings’ for £6.50.

That's it then, if they're in the Independent Enclave Of The White Rose there's bound to be logistics issues at the border, in and out...:)

Many of my other independent label purchases have been delayed but none of them nearly as much as JiB ones, the Harriott is another case in point.  The odd thing is the on their BC page the Russell LP says 'ships in two days'.  Just doesn't mention from when, the twelfth of never perhaps.  Of course, I could just listen to the downloads.

Nice one on 'Blue Beginnings'

Billie Holiday in her final album release, on the MGM label, "Billie Holiday" aka "Last Recording." Like "Lady in Satin" this is arranged and conducted by Ray Ellis, but it has a jazzier backing and feel. And though much is made, perhaps rightly, about the damage to Billie's voice, she still inhabits these songs and lets us into her world of feeling and texture. What a master she was from her first recordings on.

088215.jpg