So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

12 hours ago, BillF said:

Saw him too. Wasn't impressed.

You need to check out this album then. I guess you caught a bad night, happens to most musicians as we all know.

’Fall Out’ has an interesting parallel with Tubby Hayes’ ‘The Orchestra’, indeed both were recorded for the Philips group around the same time. A bit ‘MOR’ for some perhaps but Scott Walker as Producer knew what he was doing. Great band lineup too.

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 79.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Antônio Carlos Jobim "Passarim" Verve cd

[snip]

What a beautiful album, full of love and lush tones.

So true. It's a gorgeous record.

NP:

81JieN3+4gL._SS500_.jpg

Charlie Haden - Quartet West (Verve, 1987)

The first of Haden's Quartet West records -- and one of the best of them, I think.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

OC02NTI5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Pretty good record as it is, and John Hicks certainly adds value.

Speaking of Hicks, I recently picked up "The Power Trio" album, from some time in the '80s, with Hicks, Cecil McBee, and Elvin Jones. At first I was put off by the rather hard, even harsh, trebly recording, which does Hick no favors because he can be quite percussive in his own right, especially at this point in his career. But third time through the album I paradoxically decide to up the volume level , which somehow sort of evened out the treble over-emphasis, and really began to dig Elvin's at once intense and subtle contribution to the date -- he really seems to be digging what Hicks is doing, as well he might. At this point Hicks is not all that far away from McCoy, though he's still very much himself, and the difference between his approach and MCoy's really gets up Elvin's nose, so to speak.

a3218249098_16.jpg

I'm sure that nice people made this nice record. I have played it once and enjoyed it as many times. Nice!

It's from Belgium, home of Adolphe Sax. Yet Sax invented the saxophone in Paris, so there is no saxophone on this record. 

I sense no animosity in this decision.

Pianist Nathalie Loriers consistently catches the ear.