• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, BillF said:

ab67616d0000b273557d77d1cbe2e293310207b5

If anyone has the album only - the CD has extra track - Blue Lament, which I want to say was otherwise only recorded on an unissued BN session, and Ken Dryden's Allmusic review confirms that.

Edited by Dan Gould

Sam Newsome - The Straighthorn of Africa: A Path to Liberation - The Art of the Soprano, Vol. 2 (2014)R-8567828-1464200806-4648.jpg

My third listen to this one (not third today); I like it a lot. Avant whilst fresh and listenable and 'world' fusion without being cheesy.

Having just finished:

Chet Baker - Chet Baker & Crew (Pacific, 1956)

Chet_Baker_&_Crew.jpg

The funnest Chet record, thanks to a large extent to the presence of Bobby Timmons and Phil Urso

Edited by Rabshakeh

12 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Mi02NDg3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Mal Waldron with Fred Braceful, Eberhard Weber and Jimmy Jackson, The Call from '71. Not sure why I never listened to this before as it's phenomenal. Two songs, each stretching over the side of an LP and these guys really dig in. Late to the party on this one, but glad I made it. 

Great record. Close enough to European progressive rock from the time (particularly the German "krautrock") that I often recommend it to non-jazz friends.

George Russell - Listen to the Silence (1973)

Listen_to_the_Silence.jpg

My first ever listen to this rather odd one, a sort of jazz secular mass. Very much of the early 1970s, with references to Nixon, 'metanoia', Vietnam and everything else, including a Maoist / Nietzschean digression on the real message of the gospel being the rejection of "slave morality". Plus all the musicians were to achieve fame and remuneration mining the ECM vein. It is so of it's time that it makes Escalator over the Hill look like Oasis. Strangely enjoyable though.

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Great record. Close enough to European progressive rock from the time (particularly the German "krautrock") that I often recommend it to non-jazz friends.

Felt the same way after listening to it. It's about as close to rock as I come these days. The groove they got into was great. 

A friend of mine called this Jobim's "most Ellingtonian" album and I think he's on to something. So I'm playing it today.

Antonio Carlos Jobim "Tide" Universal Japan SHM-CD.

OS5qcGVn.jpeg

This and "Stone Flower" are kissing cousins. I love the Jobim and Deondata collaborations.

18 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

51uwrxxIOtL._AC_UY218_.jpg

I like that one, Peter! :tup

(Saw Tiberi leading a reconstituted Herman orch in the 90s after the death of the master.)

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

It's the birthday of someone whose music is very important to my listening world so. . . .

MC0xNjY4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Duke Ellington "Unknown Session" Columbia cd (from the second box set of Columbia Albums).

Great relaxed swinging stuff.

Album cover clearly influenced by the art works of Christo, who wrapped everything:

img_2469.jpg

Now playing:

MDEtOTA3NC5qcGVn.jpeg