So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

17 hours ago, jazzbo said:

The stubborn mule genius of Charles Mingus on display on a Blue Note cd that really does improve and expand on the United Artist LP.

Flawed but powerful music. The emotion and drive is very apparent and one could only wish that more time to master the arrangements could have happened. Schuller's "Epitaph" revisits most of this . . .it's a fascinating set as well but it lacks Mingus.

Charles Mingus "Complete Town Hall Concert" Japan UHQCD -- uses '94 Malcolm Addey mastering as far as I can tell.

MI0000056132.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I mostly like the slower tracks on it. That version of "I Can´t Get Started" with the wonderful bass solo of Mingus, and the tune that originally was recorded as "Love X" on Impulse. This is one of the most beautiful ballads I know. 

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joe Farnsworth - It's Prime Time (Eighty-Eight's). Joe playing with his usual cohorts (Eric Alexander, Harold Mabern, Dave Hazeltine, Jim Rotondi) but with Ron Carter on bass and guest appearances by Benny Golson (3 tunes), Curtis Fuller (2 tunes) and a rare appearance by his brother John. The title track has Joe going for a "Sidewinder" feel. Golson's "Stablemates", which seems to be played at every one of his recording dates, is actually a drum feature for Farnsworth. An enjoyable hard bop date.

Farnsworth, Joe - It's Prime Time - Music

CD Album - Joe Farnsworth - It's Prime Time - 441 Records - USA

50 minutes ago, bresna said:

Joe Farnsworth - It's Prime Time (Eighty-Eight's). Joe playing with his usual cohorts (Eric Alexander, Harold Mabern, Dave Hazeltine, Jim Rotondi) but with Ron Carter on bass and guest appearances by Benny Golson (3 tunes), Curtis Fuller (2 tunes) and a rare appearance by his brother John. The title track has Joe going for a "Sidewinder" feel. Golson's "Stablemates", which seems to be played at every one of his recording dates, is actually a drum feature for Farnsworth. An enjoyable hard bop date.

Thanks. I'll check this out. They're a remarkably consistent cadre of players.

23 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Steve's best recording, in my opinion. He plays here with strength, creativity and intensity. Based on his performance here, he rises to the top level of Hard Bop tenor players currently on the scene.

71q-uNdMaUL._AC_UY218_.jpg

:tup

Now playing:

500x500.jpg

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I mostly like the slower tracks on it. That version of "I Can´t Get Started" with the wonderful bass solo of Mingus, and the tune that originally was recorded as "Love X" on Impulse. This is one of the most beautiful ballads I know. 

I would say it was recorded for this concert, then for the Impulse album.

6 hours ago, bresna said:

Farnsworth, Joe - It's Prime Time - Music

CD Album - Joe Farnsworth - It's Prime Time - 441 Records - USA

:tup

I was listening to a new DJ Spinna radio show of "London Jazz-funk" 

Some of the tracks:

London Town - Light of the World
Escapee - Daniel Casimir
Rude Movements - Sun Palace
Movin' On - Outside
Sphynx - Brand New Heavies
Walk in the Night - Paul Hardcastle
You Gotta Get It - Congress
Night Birds - Shakatak
summer grooves - Mirage
Mr moon - Jamiroquai
Parisienne Girl - Incognito
Can't Keep Holding On - Second Image

Then moved on to: 

NjAtMzMyOS5qcGVn.jpeg

8 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

71LGnFAlKLL._AC_UY218_.jpg

I remember Ray Drummond was one of the most busy young bass players in the late 70´s early 80´s . I saw him very often with different great stars, until he became Johnny Griffin´s permanent bassist. And he, together with Stafford James played the bass in a very forceful manner, not like those who got the strings lower down to play faster (guitar like) without the real "bass sound". 
Everytime when I listend to Mingus´ "Me Myself an Eye" with Gomez and Mraz sharing the bass part, I wonder how it would have sounded if they would have had Ray Drummond and Stafford James.....much better I suppose. 

26 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I remember Ray Drummond was one of the most busy young bass players in the late 70´s early 80´s . I saw him very often with different great stars, until he became Johnny Griffin´s permanent bassist. And he, together with Stafford James played the bass in a very forceful manner, not like those who got the strings lower down to play faster (guitar like) without the real "bass sound". 
Everytime when I listend to Mingus´ "Me Myself an Eye" with Gomez and Mraz sharing the bass part, I wonder how it would have sounded if they would have had Ray Drummond and Stafford James.....much better I suppose. 

Feel you .... btw Eddie Gomez most of the time performed on that side of the street (only Steps "Live at the Pit In" comes to my mind differently) whereas George Mraz could do it both ways - which made it even more painful when he decided to play "guitar like" ....

2 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Feel you .... btw Eddie Gomez most of the time performed on that side of the street (only Steps "Live at the Pit In" comes to my mind differently) whereas George Mraz could do it both ways - which made it even more painful when he decided to play "guitar like" ....

I saw Mraz in 1985 with Flanagan and Art Taylor at Holabrunn Festival and thanks God he had got rid of that "guitar like" shit than and really played bass. But those two basses on "Me Myself" sound like "Dünnschiss".....

34 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I saw Mraz in 1985 with Flanagan and Art Taylor at Holabrunn Festival and thanks God he had got rid of that "guitar like" shit than and really played bass. But those two basses on "Me Myself" sound like "Dünnschiss".....

:D:D:D ....