• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fat Cat Big Band – Meditations On the War For Whose Great God is the Most High (Smalls Records)
— Jade Synstelien: guitar, compositions, vocals; Phil Stewart: drums; Ben Meigners: bass; Jack Glottman: piano; Sharel Cassity: alto saxophone; Stacy Dillard: tenor saxophone; Geoff Vidal: tenor saxophone; Tatum Greenblatt: trumpet; Brandon Lee: trumpet; Jonathan Voltzok: trombone; Max Seigel: bass trombone

MI0001896273.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Duke Ellington and His Orchestra – Treasury Broadcast No.19 [18Aug45 on Vol.10 of The Treasury Shows] (Storyville Records—D.E.T.S.)

MI0002058985.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Personnel:
Shelton Hemphill,  Rex Stewart, Taft Jordan, Cat Anderson(t); Ray Nance(t,vn,v); Lawrence Brown, Joe Nanton, Claude Jones(tb); Jimmy Hamilton(cl,ts); Otto Hardwicke(cl,as); Johnny Hodges(as); Al Sears(ts); Harry Carney(cl,as,bar); Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn(p); Fred Guy(g); Junior Raglin(sb); Sonny Greer(d,ch); Marie Ellington, Al Hibbler, Joya Sherrill, Kay Davis(v).

The broadcast includes excerpts from Black, Brown and Beige: Work Song, The Blues, West Indian Dance, Come Sunday, Light plus Subtle Slough, I Ain't Got Nothin' But The Blues, Riff Staccato, Bugle Breaks, Kissing Bug, Suddenly It Jumped, Warm Valley, Blue Skies.  All prime material was played on this date.

Live broadcast from Radio City Studio 6B, NYC.

Duke Ellington and His Orchestra – Broadcast from the 400 Restaurant, NYC (CBS) [5/4/45 on Vol.10 of The Treasury Shows] (Storyville Records—D.E.T.S.)

MI0002058985.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Personnel:
Rex Stewart, ct; Cat Anderson, Shelton Hemphill, Taft Jordan, t; Ray Nance, t, vn; Lawrence Brown, Joe Nanton, tb; Claude Jones, vtb; Jimmy Hamilton, cl, ts; Johnny Hodges, as; Otto Hardwick, as, cl; Al Sears, ts; Harry Carney, bs, cl, bcl; Duke Ellington, p; Fred Guy, g; Junior Raglin, b; Sonny Greer, d; Al Hibbler, Joya Sherrill, Kay Davis,Al Hibbler, Ray Nance, voc.

Titles include: Riff Staccato, I'm Beginning To See The Light, I Ain't Got Nothin' But The Blues, I Miss Your Kiss.

(The bonus material on CD 2.)

14 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Speaking of Phil Woods . . .

515cCGadfSL.jpg

The Phil Woods Quartet - Birds of Feather (Antilles, rec. 1981)

Love this one... :tup

15 hours ago, JSngry said:

As for both Woods & Pete C., they each made two of the most distinctive and memorable recorded saxophone solos of the Rock Era, and no, not everybody can do that. So, respect where due, no problem.

This is all I really meant. In fact, I am probably a bigger fan of Pete Christlieb than Woods but not the point. Criticize the work, not the person. Doubtful that all parts of everything that a person has done over the last 30 years is "bad". And for purposes of this board I like the word  "prefer" to "criticize" because some of what you guys like is............well........................you know!!! ha ha ha ha :D  I'll just say not my preference!!! ha ha 

So no worries Hutch!! No need to hold back!! Keep the opinions coming!!

Love this place!!!

10 hours ago, JohnS said:

The_Jazz_Crusaders_at_the_Lighthouse.jpg

Completely ignored the Jazz Crusaders back in the day.  IIRC their records were not widely available over here but more likely I was much more interested in the exciting stuff  going on the east coast at the time.

I think you are right John. They would have come out over here on UK Liberty or Sunset I think and I don't recall ever having seen any of these from the 1960s. Buddy Rich Libertys, of course, were/are ten a penny.

L4MEN8101.jpg