So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Bought it for a lot of money when it came out, Japan import. 

This was the time when we boys at school would imitate Miles during intermission. Some guys laying percussion patters on the school desks and one imitating the wah wah sound, making a little pantomine as if playin a horn and wearin huge sun glasses. We all bought those kind of sunglasses. 

We all had Agharta , and some guys who were a bit older and more insiders said "yeah, but do you have Pangeea"  I was the first in my school class to have Pangeea. 

I got ‘Agharta’ on (great sounding) UK vinyl right at the time it came out but ‘Panaea’ was Japanese 2LP import only and very elusive/near mythic over here. Only got to finally hear it in 1991ish when I bought it on cassette !

• Replies 79.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I got ‘Agharta’ on (great sounding) UK vinyl right at the time it came out but ‘Panaea’ was Japanese 2LP import only and very elusive/near mythic over here. Only got to finally hear it in 1991ish when I bought it on cassette !

Cassette?????

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsPFG5EVlZba9_4z8yQSg

20 hours ago, sidewinder said:

This Toshiba CD was £4 in Ray’s Jazz. I remember when Mole were selling them for over £15. Bargain !

I wonder why that Byrd TOCJ CD was being sold as a "cut-out" (priced cheaply in the bargain bin)? I also bought that same CD for a few bucks at the Tower Records store in Cambridge, MA back in the day. That one and Walter Davis Jr's "Davis Cup" were oddballs in that cheapie bin. I remember it vividly because they were pointed out to me by a guy who I'd seen in the store before but never met. He said I had to buy them. We became friends because of those cheap TOCJ CDs, although we haven't hung out in many years now as our lives went in different directions, but I still have those CDs. :)

In the end though, those cheap TOCJ CDs ended up costing me a bundle, as they turned me onto that series.

The TOCJ was second hand but in immaculate condition, not a cut out and with OBI. Back in the 1990s I used to see similar second hand ones from the series in Mole but they were always £15 and up. Quite a chunk of change at the time.

4 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Cassette?????

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsPFG5EVlZba9_4z8yQSg

‘Fraid so. My excuse - I played it in the car !  Still have it I think.

Edited by sidewinder

Wouldn't have thought Perlemuter, at an advanced age, would have the facility or the power to handle the daunting Scherzo No. 3. He take things more deliberately than most pianists -- 8:20 versus the ferocious Martha Argerich's 7:01, but in the descending waterfall cascades that dominate much of the piece, with Perlemuter every drop, so to speak, is also a note of clearly discernible pitch, which is not the case in most performances I know. I assume a case can be made either way, and Argerich's wash of sheer sound  approach is certainly thrilling, but Perlemuter fascinates.

61j7ks3xnzL.jpg