• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 28.5.2022 at 11:52 AM, Rabshakeh said:

I'm being slow. Who is he?

Jackie McLean on tenor ? 

Looks like Jackie when he was older. He slicked his hair back then (I don´t know why, his naturally curled hair looked better). 

I didn´t know who is Eric Alexander until I saw him on TV when he played with Cecil Payne, I don´t remember the rest of the group, but Ron Carter was on bass that´s sure. 
Cecil Payne had visibility problems then and had to sit down while playing. It was Eric Alexander who led him on stage and first I thought this red hair student of law or economies might be his guard or butler, and was astonished  when I saw and heard him play tenor. Didn´t know who he was until I later saw photos and it reminded me of the guy who had led Cecil Payne on stage. 

18 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Jackie McLean on tenor ? 

Looks like Jackie when he was older. He slicked his hair back then (I don´t know why, his naturally curled hair looked better). 

I can never recognise McLean from one photo to the next, even when he was young. 

25 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I can never recognise McLean from one photo to the next, even when he was young. 

You are not the only one ! 

I think he changed very much. On some youth photos he is quite thin, then he was heavier. The most times I saw him he was a bit Mingus-like. Short and heavy, light yellowish colour, kinky hear and a short beard. And when he was into his 70´s he had his hear slicked back (a thing that some afro americans did in the fourties including Miles), When I saw Miles after his comeback in 1981 he also had his hair slicked back again, not the afro from the 70´s. 

But the most important thing is the music. Jackie McLean is my favourite alto saxophonist and one of my very favourite musicians in general. His sound....fantastic. Last week I played with a soprano-saxophonist and his soprano sounded a bit like Jackie on alto...... wonderful....