So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

11 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

It's a mixed bag, but some of it is great. Just a strange sprawling statement for something released on Kudu. 

'Trouble Man' is worth the entry price alone. I tend not to mind sprawling as there's always the potential for more delights to reveal themselves.  Not on Yes 3LP sets, obviously

Edited by mjazzg

• Replies 79.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I think it was 2 separate LPs then rereleased as an actual box. I was not there at the time though, and have never owned it, although I have other Grovers.

I was there at the time, and hell if I can remember...

but that would be a bit counter intuitive, to sell two records first and then combine them right away, to sell only one unit.

There's this, from the box, if that's any indicator:

LmpwZWc.jpeg

Hell, maybe they did it all at the same time.

On 7/16/2022 at 6:35 PM, HutchFan said:

Earlier today:

LTE3NTEuanBlZw.jpeg

Kenny Clarke's Sextet - Plays André Hodeir (rec. 1956, Gitanes Jazz Productions/"Jazz In Paris" series)

The title is misleading because only three of the twelve selections are Hodeir compositions; even so, the music's good.  Aside from Clarke, the main draw is Martial Solal.  He plays on all but two cuts.  

This is a great record...

27 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I was there at the time, and hell if I can remember...

but that would be a bit counter intuitive, to sell two records first and then combine them right away, to sell only one unit.

There's this, from the box, if that's any indicator:

LmpwZWc.jpeg

Hell, maybe they did it all at the same time.

My information comes from Wikipedia only:

"Soul Box is the third studio album by American saxophonist Grover Washington Jr. The project was originally divided in two LPs, both released in 1973 on Kudu Records with quite identical covers as Soul Box Vol. 1 (KU-12) and Soul Box Vol. 2 (KU-13), then issued as a 2-LP set as KUX-1213. Both albums were recorded during March 1973 with the same personnel. In 2008, the two volumes were released on one CD by Verve/GRP Records."

No other knowledge in my head.

6 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

My information comes from Wikipedia only:

"Soul Box is the third studio album by American saxophonist Grover Washington Jr. The project was originally divided in two LPs, both released in 1973 on Kudu Records with quite identical covers as Soul Box Vol. 1 (KU-12) and Soul Box Vol. 2 (KU-13), then issued as a 2-LP set as KUX-1213. Both albums were recorded during March 1973 with the same personnel. In 2008, the two volumes were released on one CD by Verve/GRP Records."

No other knowledge in my head.

Doesn't make sense to me to use the word "box" in a title for something like this  if there's not a box...Wikipedia is only reliable until they're not...Discogs lists all three with a release date of 1973... and KU-12, KU-13, and then KU1213...let's see what was KU-14? Esther Phillips - Black-Eyed Blues

look at this -  Grover Washington, Jr. – Soul Box

that sure LOOKS like the original concept to me? It also looks like could have given each LP in the box it's own #, in sequence, and then used those to break it out to sell as sinle LPs to move more product.

I'm just saying....I do recall the box. But not necessarilyas the original issue. But the "box" box makes more sense to me. I think, maybe,

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Clare Fischer – Salsa Picante (MPS 1979)

E30D1FAC-A0E5-4367-A37C-DD9F70712A8E.jpeg

Excellent.  The next one, Machaca, is good too. 

It's odd.  Fischer made a bunch of outstanding Latin Jazz records in the 70s, as a leader & sideman with Cal Tjader (Guarabe) and Poncho Sanchez (Poncho).  

But his Latin Jazz records from the 1980s onward are... not good. 

Of course, this is just my opinion.  Fischer himself may have loved the stuff.   Who knows.

Bobby Jones – Hill Country Suite (Enja, 1974)

R-4201252-1369158630-5801.jpg

11 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Doesn't make sense to me to use the word "box" in a title for something like this  if there's not a box...Wikipedia is only reliable until they're not...Discogs lists all three with a release date of 1973... and KU-12, KU-13, and then KU1213...let's see what was KU-14? Esther Phillips - Black-Eyed Blues

look at this -  Grover Washington, Jr. – Soul Box

that sure LOOKS like the original concept to me? It also looks like could have given each LP in the box it's own #, in sequence, and then used those to break it out to sell as sinle LPs to move more product.

I'm just saying....I do recall the box. But not necessarilyas the original issue. But the "box" box makes more sense to me. I think, maybe,

KU1213 sounds like KU12 + KU13.

Agreed that your version makes more sense.

I do remember a time where some double LPs would be numbered as two combined single LPs instead of one single number...but that was a long time ago, and there was no standard.

I guess if anybody cares (and really, should they? LOL), the thing to do would be to find an old Schwann catalog and find out for real.

That Bobby Jones is a good record. The one where I finally heard what all the earlier fuss had been about.

13 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Bobby Jones – Hill Country Suite (Enja, 1974)

KU1213 sounds like KU12 + KU13.

Agreed that your version makes more sense.

From that linked Discogs entry " The number 1213 is not a sequential number in the Kudu catalog. It is a combination of the catalog numbers assigned to the two albums that also were released separately: Soul Box Vol. 1 (KU 12) and Soul Box Vol. 2 (KU 13). "

I read that, and am not convinced. Possible retro-fittin the assumption to the fact, maybe.

This guy feels differently: https://www.allaboutjazz.com/grover-washington-jr-soul-box-grover-washington-jr-by-c-andrew-hovan

Originally released as a two-record set in 1973, Soul Box has in the past been issued as two separate volumes, both on vinyl and compact discs, although the CD versions were available for only the shortest of time. To this date, this set has never been reissued in its entirety and in a fashion that recalls the original packaging and graphics.

Teddy Wilson "1935-1936" Chronogical (sic) Classics  cd

Teddy Wilson's 'thirties recordings are among my favorites of the decade, with great singers and instrumentalists and with his amazing elegant and swinging piano. The solo piano sides are excellent as well. I have this material in several ways, but the Classics series presents them in really good sound and completely in chronological order--a great way to hear them.

teddy-wilson-and-his-orchestra-1935-1936

Edited by jazzbo

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I read that, and am not convinced. Possible retro-fittin the assumption to the fact, maybe.

This guy feels differently: https://www.allaboutjazz.com/grover-washington-jr-soul-box-grover-washington-jr-by-c-andrew-hovan

Originally released as a two-record set in 1973, Soul Box has in the past been issued as two separate volumes, both on vinyl and compact discs, although the CD versions were available for only the shortest of time. To this date, this set has never been reissued in its entirety and in a fashion that recalls the original packaging and graphics.

Ok, the "ocd" in me kicked in, and I went to the closet and looked through every down beat from 1973 and into the 1974 issues until the one when Duke died. That's enough.

Contrary to hopes, I did not find any reviews of Soul Box, but perhaps/definitely relevant to numbering convention of the Creed Taylor labels, there was a half-page advert for Don Sebesky's Giant Box. CTX 6031/32 and check this out:

Mi0xMjE2LmpwZWc.jpeg

and then...

Mi0xNjkxLmpwZWc.jpeg

They didn't break this one out into two singles, but if they had...

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Dino Saluzzi – Albores (ECM, 2020)

DEF32932-6AE4-4243-86D9-A8CA3B8C72F3.jpeg

That is very special 

21 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Grover Washington, Jr. – Soul Box Vol.1 (Kudu, 1973)

R-586613-1452604247-2413.jpg

A real statement, despite being wildly uneven. I really think that kids getting into jazz get a whole lot out of this era of Washington's music. I'm still upset to see the sneers that his music receives from some areas of the jazz establishment.

This again. If Kamasi hasn't listened to 'Don't explain' from this album then my name isn't mjazzg

LmpwZWc.jpeg

LmpwZWc.jpeg

Mi0xNzE4LmpwZWc.jpeg

LTMxMzEuanBlZw.jpeg

That Azymuth record is the bomb. Leaning toward picking up that reissue from Jazz Dispensery. Glass Bead Games is always excellent and Moon Rappin' has groove. Not sure how the Moody Blues crept in here, but the listen was better than expected. Hayward has some nice solos and as a psych period piece it's a fine album. The overt enthusiasm for acid that permeates the entire record is entertaining.