• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bob Dylan "More Blood, More Tracks" disc Five

bob-dylan-more-blood-more-tracks-contest

I've been meaning to get back to this set, and my system sounds so good now that it sounds even better than it did before, even though I thought it sounded outstanding last time. Great music and music-making. And the right speed!

56 minutes ago, aparxa said:

Streaming Barney Wilen's Tilt

Is Jacky Cnudde, pianist on the Monk tracks, a pseudonym?

Jacky Cnudde was said being a french swing pianist who changed his style after listening to Monk .... so he knew the Monk Songbook rather well ....

Chet Baker "Baby Breeze" Limelight/Verve cd

Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Expanded reissue of a quite nice Baker session with some stellar sidemen.

Alto Saxophone, Flute – Frank Strozier  
Bass – Michael Fleming 
Drums – Charlie Rice 
Flugelhorn, vocals – Chet Baker 
Guitar – Kenny Burrell
Piano – Bob James, Hal Galper
Tenor Saxophone – Phil Urso 
Piano, Arranged By, Producer – Bobby Scott

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

Jacky Cnudde was said being a french swing pianist who changed his style after listening to Monk .... so he knew the Monk Songbook rather well ....

Thanks for the info soulpope, still  a bit of mystery, but that's part of the fun.

NP

Sun Ra - Bad and Beautiful
David Murray Quartet - Morning Song
Chet Baker Trio - Mr. B

19 hours ago, JSngry said:

Ok, the "ocd" in me kicked in, and I went to the closet and looked through every down beat from 1973 and into the 1974 issues until the one when Duke died. That's enough.

Contrary to hopes, I did not find any reviews of Soul Box, but perhaps/definitely relevant to numbering convention of the Creed Taylor labels, there was a half-page advert for Don Sebesky's Giant Box. CTX 6031/32 and check this out:

Mi0xMjE2LmpwZWc.jpeg

and then...

Mi0xNjkxLmpwZWc.jpeg

They didn't break this one out into two singles, but if they had...

Quoted from Discogs (history of the Item - copy in my hand ---> 2 LP box)

This is actually an unmarked SQ Quadraphonic version, per this thread on QuadraphonicQuad.com . This is denoted by the "SQ" legend on the labels, and in the deadwax.

This also means it was a 2nd pressing, as the original pressing had separate Stereo and Quad issues; second pressings came after the separate Quad version was deleted from the catalog and Quad stampers were used for the subsequent pressings.

15 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Quoted from Discogs (history of the Item - copy in my hand ---> 2 LP box)

This is actually an unmarked SQ Quadraphonic version, per this thread on QuadraphonicQuad.com . This is denoted by the "SQ" legend on the labels, and in the deadwax.

This also means it was a 2nd pressing, as the original pressing had separate Stereo and Quad issues; second pressings came after the separate Quad version was deleted from the catalog and Quad stampers were used for the subsequent pressings.

Look down in the lower right hand corner, below the CTI logo. They gave each LP of the set its own number. CTI 6031/32. The Quad thing didn't change that.