• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, soulpope said:

R-10015005-1618582276-2085.jpg

Maybe it´s due to my generation  or the bunch of guys I was around, that THIS one and let´s say stuff like Mingus´ "Ellington Medly" and of course Ellington himseslf with Mingus and Roach was the first "Ellington" I heard. 
If I play an Ellington ballad like "I got it Bad" or something like that I think I´ll never get rid of the monkish voicings and touch of it since that´s the way I hear it in my head...

Just now, Gheorghe said:

Maybe it´s due to my generation  or the bunch of guys I was around, that THIS one and let´s say stuff like Mingus´ "Ellington Medly" and of course Ellington himseslf with Mingus and Roach was the first "Ellington" I heard. 
If I play an Ellington ballad like "I got it Bad" or something like that I think I´ll never get rid of the monkish voicings and touch of it since that´s the way I hear it in my head...

I believe this is still a rather undervalued session within the Monk Discography ....

Just now, soulpope said:

I believe this is still a rather undervalued session within the Monk Discography ....

If you want to hear or even see Monk playing Ellington on another occasion you might like his solo set from 1969 in Berlin. I think it´s on a DVD I think I have it but my DVD player got "kaputt" some years ago and every few month I decide to buy another one but am too lazy and say maybe in autumn.....

Just now, Gheorghe said:

If you want to hear or even see Monk playing Ellington on another occasion you might like his solo set from 1969 in Berlin. I think it´s on a DVD I think I have it but my DVD player got "kaputt" some years ago and every few month I decide to buy another one but am too lazy and say maybe in autumn.....

Thnx for the hint ....

Anteloper – Pink Dolphins (International Anthem, 2022)

R-23565167-1655155079-9249.jpg

I liked Anteloper's first record better than this, and Jaimie Branch's own stuff more. Feels like International Anthem is putting out too many weak or mediocre records nowadays, after such a strong start.

It doesn't help that I have just been listening to this classic:

Ray Bryant – Alone With The Blues (New Jazz, 1959)

R-5713300-1588443272-5655.jpg

Now on to this recent release:

Moor Mother - Jazz Codes (Anti, 2022)

R-24003833-1658840571-5533.jpg

I think this one was summed up in my eyes by the review in the Guardian, which called it "essential", before going on to give it a generous, but not very "essential"-looking, four stars out of five. Nothing here that wasn't already making the rounds among smug grad student hip hop listeners back in the early 00s, and not even really up to that low bar. It seems squarely aimed at desperate relevance-hungry middle aged critics, rather than any demographic of listeners.

Edited by Rabshakeh

I keep coming back to this one, my favorite Wilkins so far.

Wilkins continues to impress me with his writing and arranging and I love the general sound he gets from his alto. I wish him continued and long success.

Immanuel Wilkins "Omega" Blue Note cd

immanuel-wilkins-omega-blue-note-800x800