• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I AM – Beyond (Division 81, 2022)

R-23814509-1657224233-1975.jpg

I know that other people have raved about it, but I wasn't prepared for how good this one is. I have seen Collier live and heard him on record and thought that he was fine but a bit of a spiritual jazz hipster. I was clearly completely wrong. Ode is very good too. Really impressive.

16 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Miles Davis Bootleg Series Vol. 7 "That's What Happened, 1982-1985" Blu-Spec CD2 disc 1, again

298.jpg

Enjoying disc 1 of this set so much more than I expected that I am playing it again. Mine is the Blu-Spec CD2 version from Japan that does not come in a clam-shell box as the US does, but in a 3 cd Fat Boy jewel case with a paper outer sleeve, closer to the format of the other series releases.

Sound is very good.

Must be interesting, in my case especially the 1982 thing when Miles still played a more jazz-based music without all those synthies, drum machines, pop tunes and much "schtick" . 

I loved the 1981 stuff on "We Want Miles", like the Blues on "Star People" from 1983 but don´t have music from Miles 1982 and suppose that they still played more in the 81 style that I liked most. 

9 hours ago, jazzbo said:

ucci40003-dukeellington-johncoltrane_800

"Duke Ellington and John Coltrane" Impulse Japan MQA/UHQCD

My wife bought me this for last X-Mas, she had looked at my Trane CDs and noticed that I don´t have it and since she had heard the name "Ellington" she bought it. 
I like it very much, mostly for Trane and for Dukes compositions. Duke as a piano player I noticed sounds somehow a little "dry and laconic" and has a kind of "arranger´s style on piano". I like most the sections with Garrison and Elvin Jones. Only on one faster tune they had changed the drummer with someone who kinda exagerates them rim-shots on the 2nd and 4th beat , which sounds outright unflexible compared with what Trane plays. 

About CDs I read so often those "secret codes" like MQA/UHQCD, or something like SACD and never knew what that means. I only know if it is round with a whole in the middle and if it has good music on it:lol:

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I like it very much, mostly for Trane and for Dukes compositions. Duke as a piano player I noticed sounds somehow a little "dry and laconic" and has a kind of "arranger´s style on piano".

I love Duke's piano playing and don't hear it that way at all.

On 19-9-2022 at 8:37 AM, Gheorghe said:

who is on it ? Quartet sounds good, I have some quartet things of him from late 40´s early 50´s , I think that stuff like Long Island Sound or so, very fine, early Prestige I think. With whom Getz would play for the Verve label (I have only few Verve albums at all, I think I have "Musicians Only" feat. Getz with Stitt and Diz), but the rhythm section is not really doin much. I don´t know for what they needed Herb Ellis, and I can´t hear the drums....

• Leroy Vinnegar: Bass

Stan Levy: Drums

Lou Levy: Piano

I don't now the record 'Musicians Only'. The thing with 'The Steamer' is that it is super mellow. Drums are present as is the bass, the piano sounds a bit in the distance.

edit: Maybe the flaws in sound have something to do with the fact you are talking about an pretty old recording.

•  
Edited by Referentzhunter

37 minutes ago, JSngry said:

How's the sound on that one?

If meant for my Mingus post, it's the one I kept.

Right now, with all the Dead dissing recently here I was prompted to put this one on.

Grateful Dead "Mars Hotel" Mobile Fidelity Lab SACD

s-l640.jpg

Edited by jazzbo