So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

Eric Dolphy – At The Five Spot Volume 2 (Prestige)

R-2140824-1272770767.jpg

The three Five Spot records are up there in my top ten. I'd put them right up there in the starter pack for someone trying to get into the free-er end of midcentury jazz, alongside the first two Ornette Atlantics and A Love Supreme. I think they're far more accessible than the his much more famous Blue Note record (particularly with it's rather conceptual first side).

Edited by Rabshakeh

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Did you go to Oto to see her at the weekend? I had planned to but things got in the way

I did, with Alexander Hawkins of this parish. I really enjoyed it. Very moving.

Edit: I should add, and not just because one of the duo might be reading this, that I thought that the combination of Mitchell and Hawkins really worked well for both, and brought out something really magical.

Edited by Rabshakeh

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I did, with Alexander Hawkins of this parish. I really enjoyed it. Very moving.

Edit: I should add, and not just because one of the duo might be reading this, that I thought that the combination of Mitchell and Hawkins really worked well for both, and brought out something really magical.

I thought that might be the case, glad you enjoyed it so much. Maybe they'll record, I hope so. @Alexander Hawkinswhat say you?

I saw her there solo and with Mark Sanders a few years back and it was sensational.

It should have been a trio with Joelle Leandre who cancelled.  The audience that night was embarrassingly small, perhaps because of Leandre's non appearance

Edited by mjazzg

walker_skip_tinascont_101b.jpg

Skip Walker "Tina's Contemplation--A Reflection on the Genius of Tina Brooks" Skip Walker Music cd

The genius of saxophonist Tina Brooks?  Well maybe. I do love his music. This drummer led trio produced a nice session.

Edited by jazzbo

14 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I thought that might be the case, glad you enjoyed it so much. Maybe they'll record, I hope so. @Alexander Hawkinswhat say you?

I saw her there solo and with Mark Sanders a few years back and it was sensational.

It should have been a trio with Joelle Leandre who cancelled.  The audience that night was embarrassingly small, perhaps because of Leandre's non appearance

I have always thought that Mitchell was a great player with a really interesting and personal sound on her flute, but I think that some of her earlier records sometimes adopted ensemble approaches that, whilst good, perhaps didn't show off how unique her playing is.

I first fell really in love with Mitchell's music when I listened to the solo record I posted above. I could listen to that record all day.

This was similarly excellent, with the piano opening up new possibilities for the flute. It reminded me a lot of Hemphill, Newton and very late Debussy, whilst still being it's own thing. Two players who work beautifully together. I would love to hear a duo album.

Sadly, OTO was not full last night either, although it did have a quite intense and studious small audience feel, which was nice. 

Edited by Rabshakeh