Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wadada Leo Smith - Najwa [TUM]

TUM must have some of the highest production values with regard to packaging/notes around at the moment. Sumptuous music with sumptuous presentation. Alongside his recent Monk tribute on the same label, this presents WLS as the master he undoubtedly is

Interesting new SHM-SACD from Universal Japan of Herbie Hancock's "Speak Like a Child" Blue Note. 

Very dynamic. . . but otherwise sounding a bit like an RVG mastering to me. (Which is not a terrible thing for me, I'm one of those few who have few problems with the RVG Editions). I have swapped out power tubes in my amp and am playing with my new Decware ZROCK2 so I don't have the cleanest "slate" at the moment for evaluating sonic character.

UCGQ-9017.jpg

14 hours ago, soulpope said:

Do you still have any memories regarding this concert  .... ?

I regret, I have missed this gig. The LP came out 1980 and I have bought it:

31140955zc.jpg

But I have met Marion Brown often here in Göttingen, because he lived always temporarily in Gunter Hampel´s house. The recording was reissued as CD in 1990 and I have got it from Marion:

31140979kp.jpg

31141008pr.jpg

Marion Brown, Göttingen, July 1, 1990 

8 hours ago, mikeweil said:

How's this album - what do you think about it?

I have 4 or 5 Maria Muldaur CDs and I would say this one is likely my favorite.  There are no revelat0ry new versions of these songs associated with Peggy Lee and Ms. Muldaur does not try to sound like a Peggy Lee clone, but the CD makes for a pleasant listen.  I hadn't listened to this disc in years, so I was pleasantly surprised by the duet appearance by Dan Hicks on "Winter Weather".  it's always a pleasure to hear him and I had forgotten he appeared on this disc.

Recent listening:

MI0001894558.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

MI0000661500.jpg?partner=allrovi.com