JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

10,431 posts in this topic

Tender_Moments.jpg

Fun to hear Lee Morgan on "forward-leaning" albums (would've been interesting to hear him in lieu of, say, Hubbard, on some of the "New Thing" Blue Note sessions) 

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

R-653848-1143799813.jpeg.jpg

Cool Struttin'

It doesn't get much better than that. 

Now playing:

thecompletelionelhamptonquartetsandquint
The Complete Lionel Hampton Quartets And Quintets With Oscar Peterson On Verve
Discs 3 through 5 of 5

Ornette Coleman "Ornette!" from 1961.

During my youth this was not easy to purchase, I had listened to it at a friend´s place and later bought a CD reissue with a bonus track "Keen Writers" .

I great album with Scott LaFaro on bass. The strange thing it´s much more straight ahead than other Coleman albums of that time. "Town Hall" is much more advanced. Ornette himself has much more emotion in his playing than on other occasions. Mostly he played in a very simple and diatonic manner , modulating through different keys, many of them unusual keys in jazz like D natural for example. Here he´s more chromatic and on the same time much more along with a straight ahead beat.  Ed Blackwell is fantastic on T&T.

But the best thing is the bonus track. I´ve listend to the 4 issued tracks more often and know them, but I seemed to have forgotten about the bonus track......

R-3170856-1318957035.jpeg.jpg

Anita O'Day - Recorded Live at the Berlin Jazz Festival (MPS)
with George Arvanitas, Jacky Samson, and Charles Saudrais

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-3170856-1318957035.jpeg.jpg

Anita O'Day - Recorded Live at the Berlin Jazz Festival (MPS)
with George Arvanitas, Jacky Samson, and Charles Saudrais

(IMO) one of the best Rhythm Sections of the 70`s ....

Remembering Dave Brubeck

0000511456.jpg

Dis c 1 of 2

and also this

MI0002442944.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

on which DB appeared on one track, a performance of his and Iola's "God's Love Made Visible" (which has become one of my favorite Christmas songs).  Also appearing on this CD are Tito Puente, Lionel Hampton, Clark Terry, Grady Tate, Jackie & Roy, Toots Thielemans, Jon Faddis, Candido and many more.

Aftre watching this movie

f4.jpg?zoom=0.5625&resize=300%2C400

which features Urtreger + Michelot + Humair had to replay :

MI0001953699.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

5 hours ago, soulpope said:

025119.jpg

I have fond memories of this one but have not listened to it for ages. Time to remedy that!

This morning was:

The Conversation - O.S.T.

Mankunku - Yakhal' Inkomo (from Deezer but it has been reissued on LP last week!!)

Bennie Maupin - Penumbra

2 hours ago, aparxa said:

I have fond memories of this one but have not listened to it for ages. Time to remedy that

(IMO) this is a heartfelt Ellington hommage ....

Count Basie / Oscar PetersonSatch and Josh: Count Basie encounters Oscar Peterson (Pablo)
— With Freddie Green, Ray Brown, Louie Bellson

71JS%2B2XAecL._SX425_.jpg

11 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Ornette Coleman "Ornette!" from 1961.

During my youth this was not easy to purchase, I had listened to it at a friend´s place and later bought a CD reissue with a bonus track "Keen Writers" .

I great album with Scott LaFaro on bass. The strange thing it´s much more straight ahead than other Coleman albums of that time. "Town Hall" is much more advanced. Ornette himself has much more emotion in his playing than on other occasions. Mostly he played in a very simple and diatonic manner , modulating through different keys, many of them unusual keys in jazz like D natural for example. Here he´s more chromatic and on the same time much more along with a straight ahead beat.  Ed Blackwell is fantastic on T&T.

But the best thing is the bonus track. I´ve listend to the 4 issued tracks more often and know them, but I seemed to have forgotten about the bonus track......

Ornette! on LP was the first time I heard Ornette's music. It was a listening changing experience.

a807aee93705ef03b9480b649084363e.jpg

Buck Clayton & the Marlowe Morris Trio – Jammin' With Buck [(E) on Columbia Small Group Swing Sessions (1953-62) Mosaic] (Epic EG 7009 (EP) / Mosaic)
— With Jerome Darr, Les Erskin; EP (2 trk 45) & 78 track & a previously unissued title.

R-8385124-1460576977-6920.jpeg.jpg

Buck Clayton and his All-Stars – Buck Clayton Special [(H) on Columbia Small Group Swing Sessions (1953-62) Mosaic] (Philips (E) BBL 7217 / Mosaic)
— With Buck Clayton (tp), Vic Dickenson (tb), Buddy Tate (ts), Dick Katz (p), Walter Page (b), Bobby Donaldson (d); the original LP was only issued in Europe.

R-7049611-1432541941-5538.jpeg.jpg

This session by Lateef and Farmer has a 'seventies funky oddness to it but I really dig it. Lateef really was such a capable writer and leader and I LOVE his sax playing.

This is the latest King Records cd release from Japan. Yusef Lateef "Autophysicpsychic" on CTI.

R-1398014-1461758833-3980.jpeg.jpg

Followed by

168080.jpg

CS668354-01B-BIG.jpg

Disc 3 of Michael Cosmic "Peace in the World"/Phill Musra Group "Creator Spaces" cd reissue on Now-Again Records.